Latest oil change/ oil filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACDelco lifters especially, are crazily overpriced at Rockauto. I can get a set of ACDelco lifters from Amazon or Ebay for cheaper, but I don't know the source.

My other option is going aftermarket. Rockauto sells Melling, Enginetech, and Sealed Power. Are they any good? I'm staying bone stock on this Tahoe. I'm not interested in increasing power or anything like that.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally started getting things back together yesterday.

The machine shop had the heads for the longest time. It's a small shop and they're busy. I hope that's a good thing. Keep in mind, up here in Canada, especially on the west coast, it takes longer to get parts in. Sometimes they're just not available locally, and sometimes they're ridiculously expensive. Also, my crack leaked while it was torqued down on the block. When they tested it, they couldn't get it to leak. I showed them pictures of the leak, and they wouldn't have believed me if I didn't have pictures. We can only surmise that the clamping force of the head bolts opened up the crack and allowed it to leak.

I didn't make too much progress yesterday. I spend the afternoon chasing threads and removing the valley cover to replace the gasket and knock sensors.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACDelco lifters especially, are crazily overpriced at Rockauto. I can get a set of ACDelco lifters from Amazon or Ebay for cheaper, but I don't know the source.

My other option is going aftermarket. Rockauto sells Melling, Enginetech, and Sealed Power. Are they any good? I'm staying bone stock on this Tahoe. I'm not interested in increasing power or anything like that.

Wix/NAPA Gold (same thing) and Mobil1 are my filter recommendations.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you misread my post. I was looking for quality lifters. For filters, I use WIX or AcDelco.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you misread my post. I was looking for quality lifters. For filters, I use WIX or AcDelco.

LOL

I did! Now your mentioning of Sealed Power, Melling, etc. and "staying bone stock" and not increasing power makes sense.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I missed it too!

I believe Melling makes GMs LS7 lifters and the oil pumps.

The thread title mentions oil changes and filters so my mind was expecting to read "filter".

Yeah, Melling supplies a few parts as OEM equipment. So, Larry, if you can get Melling lifters cheaper than "OEM"- go for it.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thread title mentions oil changes and filters so my mind was expecting to read "filter".

Yeah, Melling supplies a few parts as OEM equipment. So, Larry, if you can get Melling lifters cheaper than "OEM"- go for it.

Yeah, this all started with a concern about my oil filter sludging up. After a few tests I confirmed I had a head leak so the direction of this thread changed.

I've got Melling rockers now.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this all started with a concern about my oil filter sludging up. After a few tests I confirmed I had a head leak so the direction of this thread changed.

I've got Melling rockers now.

Yeah, buuuuut... That was all so 5 or 6 pages ago. You're just gonna have to accept that we own this thread now. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs