Latest oil change/ oil filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back together tonight. I ran the starter a couple of times without starting, then started the truck. It started and ran great for the first 10 minutes. Then, after the thermostat opened, I had bad misfires, codes P0174 (lean) and P0300 (misfires... duh... no kidding, I didn't need a computer to tell me that).

It appears that I have either not torqued something enough, or forgotten to connect something. I don't think a computer relearn would be this rough. The trouble is that I've had everything open, including the exhaust.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double post again. Site didn't seem to respond after clicking "post" so I clicked it 3 or 4 times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double post again

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought and hope is that you left a sensor unplugged or loose and it was one that's ignored during open loop. Get an SES light after you started it?

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get an SES light until it warmed up. I'll try it again this morning and see how it idles cold.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It idled well this morning. I panicked a little when I got a low oil warning. I used my spare car and dealt with it tonight. The good news is that when it starts up there is no lifter tapping. The bad news is the engine miss. I have tracked it down to cylinders 2, 4, 6, and sometimes 8 only when the engine is up to temperature. The missing is worst on cylinder 6, about 3x worse than the others. The missing occurs at idle and under heavy load when climbing hills. Light loads exhibit almost no misses at all. Cylinders 1, 3, 5, and 7 have no misses at all. I should be able to rule out any sensors at the intake or before because they would affect all 8 cylinders. I suspect the RHS intake gasket not seating properly. I may have not seated the gasket properly when installing it. I have the old one I could reuse and it may seal better if I've crimped this one.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It idled well this morning. I panicked a little when I got a low oil warning. I used my spare car and dealt with it tonight. The good news is that when it starts up there is no lifter tapping. The bad news is the engine miss. I have tracked it down to cylinders 2, 4, 6, and sometimes 8 only when the engine is up to temperature. The missing is worst on cylinder 6, about 3x worse than the others. The missing occurs at idle and under heavy load when climbing hills. Light loads exhibit almost no misses at all. Cylinders 1, 3, 5, and 7 have no misses at all. I should be able to rule out any sensors at the intake or before because they would affect all 8 cylinders. I suspect the RHS intake gasket not seating properly. I may have not seated the gasket properly when installing it. I have the old one I could reuse and it may seal better if I've crimped this one.

Check the gap on the plugs too.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the right side torqued to 22 ft_lbs. Angle torques will have to wait for another day. .

Did you remember to angle torque the right side? It seems coincidental that it's the right side that's misfiring.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really sounding like a head isn't sealing and the problem is worse when the thermostat is open cuz the coolant is being pushed by the water pump and it may be getting into the combustion chambers. Coolant level dropped since you've been driving it?

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It maybe sorting itself out. I may have contaminated the 02 sensor when spraying the blockwith cleaner. I put the scantool on and monitored the O2 sensor, it was switching normally. In fact, on my trip home it didn't miss at all. The contamination may be burning off now. I may consider replacing the sensors.

The plugs I have are gapped at the factory and they advise against adjusting the gap. Also, it is just too coincidental that only the right side plugs would be gapped so badly that they would miss this much.

Believe me, I made absolutely sure I torqued the heads right. I got my angle guage to fit in for all head bolts. Coolant level is stable now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01