Latest oil change/ oil filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, buuuuut... That was all so 5 or 6 pages ago. You're just gonna have to accept that we own this thread now. :p

Then I'd say you got a bad deal. Get your money back. ;)

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting observation today. The Gasket Kleen actually does quite a nice job of cleaning carbon from the tops of the cylinders. Rotate the engine to TDC and two cylinders will be just above the block deck. Spray it with Gasket Kleen, leave for a time, clean with a wire brush, use a razor to clean the outer rim of the piston, wipe down with brake cleaner. Compressed air will clean off the rest including clearing out any remaining brake clean that slipped down the side.

I wasn't going to spend any significant time cleaning off carbon, but this made it really easy. I'm almost ready to clean any residual oils from the block surface, then start installing the heads.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the right side torqued to 22 ft_lbs. Angle torques will have to wait for another day. Left side coated with WD40 because it is cold and damp at night.

Brake cleaner does not evaporate very well from headbolt holes. Even after blowing out the residual with compressed air there was still a film of it on the threads. I will try following brake cleaner with acetone on the other side.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake cleaner does not evaporate very well from headbolt holes. Even after blowing out the residual with compressed air there was still a film of it on the threads. I will try following brake cleaner with acetone on the other side.

What brake cleaner are you using? There are a few different types, most commonly chlorinated and non-chlorinated. I find the non-flammable ones don't work as well and I think those are the ones that leave residues behind. I keep stocked up on the the Super Tech from Walmart cuz it's cheap and works great. It's also a great bonfire starter and wasp nest incinerator because you can ignite the spray from the can and have a handheld blowtorch.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the right side torqued to 22 ft_lbs. Angle torques will have to wait for another day. Left side coated with WD40 because it is cold and damp at night.

IIRC, non-chlorinated brake-cleaner is mostly acetone in an aerosol can... The lack of evaporation may actually be the brake-cleaner chilling the parts down (notice how it makes parts cold?) causing condensation of moisture...

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake cleaner is the non-flammable, no residue type from CRC.

I found a much better way to get the holes dry. I used the air hose, but I attached a smaller vacuum hose to the end. The original problem I had was that the compressor was putting too much air through and blowing the hose off, so I had given up. Silly me had forgotten I could reduce the pressure of my compressor. As soon as I did so, I was able to put my vacuum hose on there and blow all the crud out. I got a lot more crud out making me wonder if the first side won't be as good. I'm going to take my chances as the gasket is already compressed.

The other problem I had was that I had ordered the wrong lifter guide. This one is totally on me. I was looking on Rockauto for lifter tray instead of lifter guide. Even in the lifter guide, there are no pictures of the tray, and the ACDelco had no picture. But, it did have a part number that I could have looked up. So, I'm having to take my chances with the old guides. I have no time to wait for new ones. We have cold weather coming, and I've been borrowing my sister's car for over 2 months now. (There are other issues going on in life causing this project to take so long).

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, non-chlorinated brake-cleaner is mostly acetone in an aerosol can... The lack of evaporation may actually be the brake-cleaner chilling the parts down (notice how it makes parts cold?) causing condensation of moisture...

Condensation is definitely due to weather. BC Canada is a rainforest, and the temperatures at night are probably in the mid to high 30's. Next week is freezing, so I've GOT to get this job done.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back together tonight. I ran the starter a couple of times without starting, then started the truck. It started and ran great for the first 10 minutes. Then, after the thermostat opened, I had bad misfires, codes P0174 (lean) and P0300 (misfires... duh... no kidding, I didn't need a computer to tell me that).

It appears that I have either not torqued something enough, or forgotten to connect something. I don't think a computer relearn would be this rough. The trouble is that I've had everything open, including the exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne