L94 cam swap opinions for a daily driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll start with I’m a total newbie in the performance parts world with a strong mechanical background, so I know enough to be dangerous. So I’ve been compiling a parts list for a AFM/DOD delete for a L94 in a 13’ Escalade and I’ve been eyeing a TSP L99 VVT-2.2 Camshaft 227/239 .629/.629 113+6 (25-TSPL99VVT-2.2). I talked with TSP and they said it will run fine with my stock torque converter which is a must, I don’t have the time nor resources to replace it. My main concern is I came across a thread in the LS forum about the >.600. lift could lead to excessive spring wear and require replacing every 30-40K miles. I absolutely love the lopey sound of big cams but I daily drive the truck and tow a fishing boat, I’d really appreciate your opinions on how I should approach this cam situation. Thanks in advance.
Camshaft Dyno Test: Stock vs Comp vs Summit Stage 4
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/l92-6-2l-camshaft-dyno-test/

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to ditch the both AFM and VVT, for reasons of simplicity. I plan on doing my own tuning, also frees up funds for headers and Y pipe, and less future part failure. This being my first time ever doing any major performance upgrades has been exhausting to say the least (no pun intended). I'll leave a short list of the upgrades that will be done with the AFM/VVT delete and if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

1:The goal for the truck is drive-ability, I tow a fishing boat, short road trips, typical daily driver.
2:What I'd like out of the cam is a noticeable lopey sound with some sort of positive HP gain for all the effort to do the swap that will accommodate the typical daily driving, the trucks probably wont ever see a track.

Upgrades that will be done with the swap are, 1 7/8 long tube headers /w Y pipe from speed engineering, a performance muffler (havent picked one yet), and resonator delete.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to ditch the both AFM and VVT, for reasons of simplicity. I plan on doing my own tuning, also frees up funds for headers and Y pipe, and less future part failure. This being my first time ever doing any major performance upgrades has been exhausting to say the least (no pun intended). I'll leave a short list of the upgrades that will be done with the AFM/VVT delete and if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

1:The goal for the truck is drive-ability, I tow a fishing boat, short road trips, typical daily driver.
2:What I'd like out of the cam is a noticeable lopey sound with some sort of positive HP gain for all the effort to do the swap that will accommodate the typical daily driving, the trucks probably wont ever see a track.

Upgrades that will be done with the swap are, 1 7/8 long tube headers /w Y pipe from speed engineering, a performance muffler (havent picked one yet), and resonator delete.
It ought to see the track to measure the performance gains or losses of the parts you throw at it.

You can get a lopey idle sound just by altering the tune. The wrong camshaft might sound great at idle but be a dog off the line and kill your gas mileage.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ought to see the track to measure the performance gains or losses of the parts you throw at it.

You can get a lopey idle sound just by altering the tune. The wrong camshaft might sound great at idle but be a dog off the line and kill your gas mileage.
I was just talk with a guy whos done quite a few TSP stage 2 L92 VVT cams and completely resold my original idea… it’s been a frustrating choice to say the least but from everything he explained to me it’s exactly what I’m looking for

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just talk with a guy whos done quite a few TSP stage 2 L92 VVT cams and completely resold my original idea… it’s been a frustrating choice to say the least but from everything he explained to me it’s exactly what I’m looking for
I've done more research on 5.3 camshafts and my conclusion with some research on 6.2 cams is that smaller is still better for a truck. I noticed that the camshaft you chose is for an L99, that motor goes in Camaros, not trucks that tow. It's going to shift your powerband north. That's a bigger camshaft than Randy was running in his Denali going 11s or 12s in the quarter mile. Might be fine in a 427 though.

Well, if it matters to you, make before and after runs of each modification to measure performance gains or losses. I used to have a speed shop and spent more time taking stuff off of cars to make them faster than putting stuff on them to make them faster.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done more research on 5.3 camshafts and my conclusion with some research on 6.2 cams is that smaller is still better for a truck. I noticed that the camshaft you chose is for an L99, that motor goes in Camaros, not trucks that tow. It's going to shift your powerband north. That's a bigger camshaft than Randy was running in his Denali going 11s or 12s in the quarter mile. Might be fine in a 427 though.

Well, if it matters to you, make before and after runs of each modification to measure performance gains or losses. I used to have a speed shop and spent more time taking stuff off of cars to make them faster than putting stuff on them to make them faster.
IMO too... LS3 cam = way too f'n big for a 5.3 in a 6000# truck... It'll be a pig no matter
how many multiple hours spent on "tuning"

I went and looked at that article on the summit cam vs stock cam...
Holy Shit !! You give up 175 lb ft of torque at 3500 RPM... SO unless
you are at 3500+ ALL The Time.... what a pig... think about trying to move
your beast SUV and even a little Trailer with only 240 lb ft - I bet it's soooo
bad below 2500 rpm... Time for some 4.88 gears !!!!
btw, that's on a 6.2 , not a 5.3

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback, Im green to the performance scene as you probably already tell. I spoke with someone from the forum that has a lot of experience with the TSP VVT cams and he resparked my original interest with going with the TSP L92 stage 2 VVT cam. The trucks probably never going to see a track, just a street truck. My ultimate goal would be to someday do a LSA supercharger swap but I dont see that in the near future.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Im green to the performance scene as you probably already tell. I spoke with someone from the forum that has a lot of experience with the TSP VVT cams and he resparked my original interest with going with the TSP L92 stage 2 VVT cam. The trucks probably never going to see a track, just a street truck. My ultimate goal would be to someday do a LSA supercharger swap but I dont see that in the near future.
I think you're receiving good advice from @hagar and will be happy with that cam. We're here as you go to help with the process if anything comes up for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM