Kenwood Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Yukon with a Kenwood DDX9902S. It fits fine and required an add on to utilize the Boze system (I have no rear DVD in mine). The fit is fine, the camera works, but I hate the unit. Over the years it has become very slow to "boot up" which drives me crazy. From turning it on, it's often 45 seconds before any audio is available...you just get the annoying start screen. If I could go back, I'd opt for something else.

Have you looked into a firmware update for that one?
https://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2015/2015g/eng.html

Last edited:

Joel Ragan Young

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2011 Tahoe LTZ. It has the Bose sound system and I want to replace the radio with an aftermarket DVD radio and have Andriod Auto and keep the rear DVD entertainment system.

When I talked to Crutchfield they told me that there is limited space/depth to get an aftermarket radio and suggested a JVC radio.

My question is there any Kenwood radios that will work or fit? I prefer Kenwood as I have one installed in my 01 Tahoe.
Upgrading the head unit has many benefits for audio and mobile phone. I went with a Pioneer double DIN, and replaced the front tweets and mids. I recommend the back up camera add-on, too. I added the camera DIY, and can vouch for the limited space. If you have BOSE there is a necessary interface module and harness that also stuffs into the cavity. My son has a Kenwood in his burb, but with the interface module it is like cramming 10 lbs of potatoes into a 5 lb bag. Best Buy did an excellent free installation. Wiring must be economized and streamlined during installation, but it'll fit.

CocobrownLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know you said you want a kenwood but I just installed this alpine a few weeks ago and I ordered it through crutchfield with the all the harnesses and adapters need. I have a 2011 LT Tahoe with the Bose system. The entire radio is very slim and all the wiring fit nicely.

16C610E1-00CE-4CAE-877A-4ED32355B6A7.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
Upgrading the head unit has many benefits for audio and mobile phone. I went with a Pioneer double DIN, and replaced the front tweets and mids. I recommend the back up camera add-on, too. I added the camera DIY, and can vouch for the limited space. If you have BOSE there is a necessary interface module and harness that also stuffs into the cavity. My son has a Kenwood in his burb, but with the interface module it is like cramming 10 lbs of potatoes into a 5 lb bag. Best Buy did an excellent free installation. Wiring must be economized and streamlined during installation, but it'll fit.

I think I was told I can retain the factory camera with the maestro

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
Kenwood is installed. The place I ordered the DDX9906 sent me a DDX9907XR instead. No complaints there.

Took a long time to install as I take my time. Crutchfield was right that the radio didn't fit. I needed about another 1/4 to 1/2 inch to make it fit. I was able to get the radio to fit after cutting out the back plastic support. I did cut the plastic bar that is on the bottom behind the climate control as it gave me more room to push all the cables back and maestro rr.

The only thing that is not working is the rear video monitor. When I play a DVD it only shows on the Kenwood but not the rear monitor. The monitor is lit up but no video so looks like it's getting power.

Does anyone know how I can get video in the rear monitor?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Kenwood is installed. The place I ordered the DDX9906 sent me a DDX9907XR instead. No complaints there.

Took a long time to install as I take my time. Crutchfield was right that the radio didn't fit. I needed about another 1/4 to 1/2 inch to make it fit. I was able to get the radio to fit after cutting out the back plastic support. I did cut the plastic bar that is on the bottom behind the climate control as it gave me more room to push all the cables back and maestro rr.

The only thing that is not working is the rear video monitor. When I play a DVD it only shows on the Kenwood but not the rear monitor. The monitor is lit up but no video so looks like it's getting power.

Does anyone know how I can get video in the rear monitor?

On mine you have to go into one of the settings in the HU and select rear video or something like that... it has been a while since I messed with it as it isn't something that we use often.

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
On mine you have to go into one of the settings in the HU and select rear video or something like that... it has been a while since I messed with it as it isn't something that we use often.

Found Dual Zone settings in the HU manual. I'll give that a try. Thanks

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
Yep, that's it... I couldn't think of what they called it earlier. Keep us posted.

Ok, that worked. I can have the DVD play in the back with headsets and listen to radio in front. Do I need to buy a Kenwood remote so anyone watching DVD in the back can pause the DVD or skip forward? The factory remote doesn't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts