Keep it or sell? Help me diagnose a couple issues please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trade in right now is certainly enticing, if you don't mind making payments again.........then go for it
if you keep it I would take the warranty extension it's certainly cheap insurance.
as for the stumble I would have a injector service done and/or throw some injector cleaner in it for a few tank fulls and clean up the intake and a new air filter and that should straighten you up.
I clean mine every 3 months just as a routine, you could eat off of it.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
The trade in right now is certainly enticing, if you don't mind making payments again.........then go for it
if you keep it I would take the warranty extension it's certainly cheap insurance.
as for the stumble I would have a injector service done and/or throw some injector cleaner in it for a few tank fulls and clean up the intake and a new air filter and that should straighten you up.
I clean mine every 3 months just as a routine, you could eat off of it.

Yep, even if I spend $2k on warranty extention, it's cheap insurance. This warranty cost me $3k for 3 years (almost expired now), and it's paid over $5k in claims with the shocks, compressor, and radiator......... first warranty I've ever bought and was worth it:)

I did check the engine mount test using the brake torque and I don't hear any noise at all. The only thing I can think of that I have not done is I have not cleaned the throttle body. How hard is that to do?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, even if I spend $2k on warranty extention, it's cheap insurance. This warranty cost me $3k for 3 years (almost expired now), and it's paid over $5k in claims with the shocks, compressor, and radiator......... first warranty I've ever bought and was worth it:)

I did check the engine mount test using the brake torque and I don't hear any noise at all. The only thing I can think of that I have not done is I have not cleaned the throttle body. How hard is that to do?
easy just grab a can of throttle body cleaner it's $3-4 dollars and some clean cloths, just go easy on it while cleaning, you can't man handle the butterfly inside you can hold it open to get inside but don't force it farther than it goes which is almost 1/2 way open.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have the trans fluid changed again and see if the trans behavior changes. I realize I can pay out of pocket $5k and put a new trans in it and still have saved myself $25k over a newer one, I just want to trust it........

Why? You said it’s still under the extended warranty for 3 months. Just take it to your dealer with all your complaints. Why waste money on a flush that may not fix it? Put that toward your deductible.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the engine mount test using the brake torque and I don't hear any noise at all.

You won’t hear any noise with collapsed mounts. Put it in reverse or neutral to unload the mount and see if the vibration goes away. Still though, just take it to your dealer. Engine mounts and a transmission will very likely be covered by your warranty.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Your little voice may be right. Early 2015 still had the 6 SP. The 2015+ went to 8 SP.

The price is right to sell, but it’s not a buyers market, yet. If you can verify any codes in the trans are speaking to you, definitely cash in the chips.

The prospect of flipping our Escalade for almost $10 over what we paid is enticing since we have another car. I hear ya.

2014 Escalade ESV...........70k miles. Bought it with 30k,
Have early stages of torque converter failure, I believe. Have a slight rumble at highway speeds, an occasional thump that are very similar to the signs we had before my parent's torque converters failed in both their 2015 Escalade and 2015 Denali (different trans, I know, but symptoms are similar).
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Your little voice may be right. Early 2015 still had the 6 SP. The 2015+ went to 8 SP.

The price is right to sell, but it’s not a buyers market, yet. If you can verify any codes in the trans are speaking to you, definitely cash in the chips.

The prospect of flipping our Escalade for almost $10 over what we paid is enticing since we have another car. I hear ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm so tempted to take the crazy trade-in offer, but in reality we're going from a 28.5k car to a 58.5k car.............which I can buy a lot of parts (or extend the warranty for a small amount/etc).

I cleaned the throttle body on Saturday, it was filthy dirty...it might be idling a bit smoother, or it might be my imagination, I dunno. Also tossed 2 cans of injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

I had put the stock tune back in the truck a couple weeks ago when we noticed surging (which could have been throttle body or MAF related, I'm not sure)........I re-installed the Black Bear tune Saturday (which I had primarily used to eliminate the AFM, but it does change the trans programming too), and the truck really does drive so much better. Trans is shifting smooth right now, I'll keep an eye on it for a couple weeks and will post back up. The recent shuddering may have coincided in some way to the AFM engaging and the TC locking/unlocking, I'm honestly not sure.

Thanks to all for the advice!

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck. Sorry you are having so many issues. I just had the transmission fixed at 173K miles. $1700 was well worth it when you look at new pricing. Only current issue I have is low oil pressure indicator. Have had the sending unit replaced a couple of times...

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the same problem I face. I can get a good price for my 2010 Tahoe, but something decent and newer is $20-30K more. Big difference in mine is that I am just starting to see a few paint bubbles on the rear wheelwells. Rust is evil, although I could always hide it with some Z71 flares......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts