Keep it or sell? Help me diagnose a couple issues please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jettix2

Reaction score
2014 Escalade ESV...........70k miles. Bought it with 30k, still have 3 months worth of GMEPP warranty that I can extend for another couple years for $2-3k. Car is immaculate inside and out, despite being a Midwest vehicle it's always been undercoated and has no visible rust and very little undercarriage.

Have replaced: all 4 magnetic shocks + compressor, trans cooler lines, radiator.........full tuneup this year with new coil packs, plugs, wires, filters.........all new pads/rotors/calipers.

AFM has been disabled since I bought the car.....

Have early stages of torque converter failure, I believe. Have a slight rumble at highway speeds, an occasional thump that are very similar to the signs we had before my parent's torque converters failed in both their 2015 Escalade and 2015 Denali (different trans, I know, but symptoms are similar). Fluid was changed last year, has always been clean.

I also have a stumble at idle that is intermittent..........with all the tuneup items above, I still haven't been able to pinpoint this. About the only that HASN'T been done is a Throttle Body Cleaning. Think that would make a difference?

I was offered 28,500 trade in for the vehicle last week, which is insanely high, but in-line with current pricing.............was going to pull the trigger on a low mileage, CPO 2018 Escalade but my wife is choking on the price of $58.5k OTD.

For $30k difference, I can obviously replace a lot (more) parts, but at this point I'm starting to lose confidence in the vehicle. We had the radiator catastrophically fail in January (on a very "young" car, in my eyes) and the above 2 issues are making me nervous.

The trans isn't showing any codes, and the extended warranty will not fix it unless it completely fails (ie, when they replaced the shocks, they would only replace the shocks that were seized up, not just leaking oil)........I'm sure they'll replace the TC / Trans, but only after it leaves us on the side of the road, LOL.

Any thoughts?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission doesn’t have to be showing codes to have a failure. Take it in. If all they need to do is drive it to feel your concerns, they can fix it. The stumble at idle could very well be collapsed engine mounts. The 6.2L has a slightly rougher idle than a 5.3L anyway.

All the problems you’ve mentioned are more common on the K2 chassis so you’ll likely have to fix the exact same things again.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also going to suggest getting the motor mounts checked, very common problem for all the NBS, NNBS, NNNBS, etc. Could go with poly mounts, but I have heard it makes the sound worse, although they never break.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Clean the throttle body and MAF. You should not have a stumble in that engine.

Only 70k, that trans should be fine. Have i flushed.

Sorry, I forgot that I did replace the MAF but have not done the throttle body. Trans fluid and filter was changed at 60k but was just dropped and refilled, not flushed.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 Escalade ESV...........70k miles. Bought it with 30k, still have 3 months worth of GMEPP warranty that I can extend for another couple years for $2-3k. Car is immaculate inside and out, despite being a Midwest vehicle it's always been undercoated and has no visible rust and very little undercarriage.

Have replaced: all 4 magnetic shocks + compressor, trans cooler lines, radiator.........full tuneup this year with new coil packs, plugs, wires, filters.........all new pads/rotors/calipers.

AFM has been disabled since I bought the car.....

Have early stages of torque converter failure, I believe. Have a slight rumble at highway speeds, an occasional thump that are very similar to the signs we had before my parent's torque converters failed in both their 2015 Escalade and 2015 Denali (different trans, I know, but symptoms are similar). Fluid was changed last year, has always been clean.

I also have a stumble at idle that is intermittent..........with all the tuneup items above, I still haven't been able to pinpoint this. About the only that HASN'T been done is a Throttle Body Cleaning. Think that would make a difference?

I was offered 28,500 trade in for the vehicle last week, which is insanely high, but in-line with current pricing.............was going to pull the trigger on a low mileage, CPO 2018 Escalade but my wife is choking on the price of $58.5k OTD.

For $30k difference, I can obviously replace a lot (more) parts, but at this point I'm starting to lose confidence in the vehicle. We had the radiator catastrophically fail in January (on a very "young" car, in my eyes) and the above 2 issues are making me nervous.

The trans isn't showing any codes, and the extended warranty will not fix it unless it completely fails (ie, when they replaced the shocks, they would only replace the shocks that were seized up, not just leaking oil)........I'm sure they'll replace the TC / Trans, but only after it leaves us on the side of the road, LOL.

Any thoughts?
The torque converters on the 6L80 are a bit of a weak link, though failures below 100K are rare. Apparently the problem stems from the extra stress the cycling of the AFM system places on the lock-up clutch. Because I tow a 6500 lb camper, I had an upgraded converter installed with a stronger lock-up clutch and billet housing that can better withstand towing. The symptom of a failing lock-up clutch are a shudder whenever AFM activates/deactivates cylinders. So since yours is deactivated, I would suspect something other than the TC as the root cause.

I totally understand the feeling of not having complete faith in a car, and I resolve that by doing all I can to know both of mine inside and out, and engaging with the community here to keep mine in tip-top shape, addressing things before they show up as problems. I can afford a brand new Denali but I don't believe it's worth the $50K+ I'd have to spend to get into one. I'd rather use that money for trips and educating our kids. And, these trucks are known quantities, are reliable for the long haul, and the parts and know-how to work on them are widely available in any small town with a parts store and a garage. I wouldn't hesitate to drive either of our Denali's across the country tomorrow.

Good luck in making your decision, but I know what mine would be if I were in your shoes.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, if you have lost confidence in your current truck, it is not likely that you will regain that confidence back. IMO, having a vehicle that you are not confident in, just places extra stress on you, every time you drive it, and eliminates to joy of having it and driving it. You may be best to replace it.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
The torque converters on the 6L80 are a bit of a weak link, though failures below 100K are rare. Apparently the problem stems from the extra stress the cycling of the AFM system places on the lock-up clutch. Because I tow a 6500 lb camper, I had an upgraded converter installed with a stronger lock-up clutch and billet housing that can better withstand towing. The symptom of a failing lock-up clutch are a shudder whenever AFM activates/deactivates cylinders. So since yours is deactivated, I would suspect something other than the TC as the root cause.

I totally understand the feeling of not having complete faith in a car, and I resolve that by doing all I can to know both of mine inside and out, and engaging with the community here to keep mine in tip-top shape, addressing things before they show up as problems. I can afford a brand new Denali but I don't believe it's worth the $50K+ I'd have to spend to get into one. I'd rather use that money for trips and educating our kids. And, these trucks are known quantities, are reliable for the long haul, and the parts and know-how to work on them are widely available in any small town with a parts store and a garage. I wouldn't hesitate to drive either of our Denali's across the country tomorrow.

Good luck in making your decision, but I know what mine would be if I were in your shoes.

My AFM has been disabled since we bought it at 32k, via a Black Bear Tune....... It's never towed anything, never been beat on, just my wife hauling kids. With the tune in, the idle stumble is apparent. It also has a surge when accelerating. I took the tune out and re
29k trade in, i woulda took that in a heartbeat

Trade in not even required, they'll write me a check for $28.5 ...........that's how desparate they are for trade-ins. I'm going to have the trans fluid changed again and see if the trans behavior changes. I realize I can pay out of pocket $5k and put a new trans in it and still have saved myself $25k over a newer one, I just want to trust it........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal