K&N oil filters disappointment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tired a K&N filter stopped filtering about 500 miles ago quite disappointed seems like people are overstating the facts on that brand

I'm having a hard time finding mobil1 filter 113 filters sigh normally the mobil1 last me about 4500 miles. before the oil starts getting dirty .. i normally change it at 4000

i'm only about 3800 miles in and it's very dirty the oil.... yes i'm running v8 mode but it's irrelevant since the RPM is about the same..(possibly even less then v4 mode under normal conditions)

also if it matters to you i did not lose any oil

0 qt burned...

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of K&N. That said, from my understanding the particles that change the color of oil are too small to be trapped in most filter media anyway. Which is to say color and the level of particulates that cause wear are not closely correlated.

I like Wix myself. But any decent brand that’s not the bargain basement offering is IMO plenty good enough for engines on routine change schedules.

It is the people doing extended oil change intervals that need high performance filtration. Which to me means bypass filter. Full flow filtration and ultra fine are not really compatible in a stock housing.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you get a special filtration system your oil will look dirty pretty quickly. as far as k&n is concerned several independent tests have shown the k&n filter is no better than a regular filter. some regular priced brands even being of better build quality over the k&n.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you get a special filtration system your oil will look dirty pretty quickly. as far as k&n is concerned several independent tests have shown the k&n filter is no better than a regular filter. some regular priced brands even being of better build quality over the k&n.
never had an issue with the oil changing darker when using the mobil1 filter it would stay yellow tell 4500 miles before partials are seen in the oil

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The Fram Ultraguard seems to be all the rage over on "Bob is the oil guy" forum.

Previously I wouldn't have used a Fram filter on my lawnmower, and I still wouldn't except for the Ultraguard, but I tried them on my last OCI. I had previously been running the M1 EP filters. As the other guys have mentioned the Wix filters are great filters as well.

I am waiting to get my UOA report back from Blackstone. This will be the first report I have done since switching from Mobil 1 EP to Mobil Delvac Extreme.

I am interested to see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84