K&N Heat Shield Cover: On or Off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garret813

Reaction score
I'm fixing to go on a 2,000 mile road trip that's going to be 90% highway driving. I've got a K&N aircharger system with the full heat shield and filter wrap installed in my Denali. I thought about taking the cover off the top of the box to let more air into the filter. Thought it might give the truck a little better mileage? I'm curious on thoughts and opinions.....

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO leave the full heat shield on. Not sure where you are located or what the weather would be like, but I would hate to get any water into the intake. I know the potential is low, but during certain conditions (like highway driving through a storm) my engine compartment has been wet.

Also for that 10%, is there a possibility of sitting idle or moving slowly in heavy traffic for relatively long periods. Again, the potetial for damage or overheating may be low, but I like to minimize these risks (have other things to worry about).

On the other hand, you can do an experiment like have it on one way and off the other (assuming other variables are kept constant).

Just my 2 cents.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing to go on a 2,000 mile road trip that's going to be 90% highway driving. I've got a K&N aircharger system with the full heat shield and filter wrap installed in my Denali. I thought about taking the cover off the top of the box to let more air into the filter. Thought it might give the truck a little better mileage? I'm curious on thoughts and opinions.....

no input on you subject but I gotta say I know you are from the South....you even typed "fixin to"...lol haha, I mean speaking is one thing but writing it??? damn! haha lol

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Experiment If your doing a round trip do one way on one way off you could be our lap rat

OP
OP
G

Garret813

Reaction score
I ended up keeping it on the whole trip, didn't want to risk having any issues while traveling with the fam. Yes I am from the south too, born and raised in Texas but also lived in Georgia for 7 years. I'm also a proud member of the Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 2006, Whoop!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts