Just bought an ‘18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
It’s fully loaded with the Denali Ultimate package. Absolutely loving it. Got it yesterday.

Question: do you guys always have it in 4WD Auto or instead 2WD? I was thinking that 2WD might make sense for every day driving 99% of the time.

Do you keep it in 4WD anyway? I’m sure the fuel mileage difference is pretty negligible but 2WD might result is less wear and tear.
I keep mine in 2WD. The owner's manual states that using 2WD most of the time reduces wear and tear on the various mechanical components. The owner's manual does state that AUTO 4WD will not cause damage but does pose the risk of earlier wearing out of mechanical components.

funymuny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 17 Denali (and kept my 07 SLT). It's all loaded up like you describe...nice. Keep it in 2WD. Do some reading, google search. The auto mode presents some additional stress on the transfer case if I recall correctly. It sounds nice as sort of an AWD mode but I don't believe that is what it is. 2WD is the way to go unless you need 4WD. 4WD mode will cause it to hop around turns. Not that it matters but auto does increase fuel consumption in addition to the added stress/wear on the transfer case. But hey, like my dad used to say to me...be all you can be.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service Manager said to keep it in 2wd unless on a slippery surface, in which case Auro or 4wd would be appropriate. I have yet to move mine out of 2wd, even in rain.

Run the transfer case through the different settings every so often so things keep in good working order. Learn how to engage 4LO and Neutral properly and how to get out of Neutral the right way. You don't want to be fumbling around for the owner's manual when something comes up and need 4LO right quick.

Garryowen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Ryan
I join with others in congratulating you on your new Denali and welcome to a useful site for GM owners.
When I acquired our 2011 Denali I felt really silly trying to figure out all the bells and whistles on the unit, whether mechanical, electric, audio or GPS... I've still one shiny button I've never touched - perhaps it's an ejection seat?
Fully agree with the value of downloading the .pdf file of your owner manual. The print copy is fine but can be annoying when trying to find a particular item or issue.
Please consider doing this. Your efforts will answer most questions and reduce any anxieties you may have. Our Denali now has over 97K mileage, has averaged 17.6 MPG since day one (I have never reset the mileage computer), has performed flawlessly in torrential downpours at highway speed, traversed many dirt roads and trails in the Northeast Georgia mountains, handled the occasional light snow and all in 2WD.
I maintain the manufacturer maintenance schedule and beyond normal fair wear and tear, e.g., tires, etc. have incurred no unusual expenses beyond a dashboard crack at around 55K miles.
There is no reason you shouldn't enjoy equal or better use from your Denali.
We considered a new one and admit they're gorgeous but my "Chief of Staff" said "why?" and she was correct. Ours still looks great and gets as many compliments as our C5 Corvette.
So go forth, drive it and enjoy!

View attachment 187800 029.jpg

Garryowen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Ryan
I join with others in congratulating you on your new Denali and welcome to a useful site for GM owners.
When I acquired our 2011 Denali I felt really silly trying to figure out all the bells and whistles on the unit, whether mechanical, electric, audio or GPS... I've still one shiny button I've never touched - perhaps it's an ejection seat?
Fully agree with the value of downloading the .pdf file of your owner manual. The print copy is fine but can be annoying when trying to find a particular item or issue.
Please consider doing this. Your efforts will answer most questions and reduce any anxieties you may have. Our Denali now has over 97K mileage, has averaged 17.6 MPG since day one (I have never reset the mileage computer), has performed flawlessly in torrential downpours at highway speed, traversed many dirt roads and trails in the Northeast Georgia mountains, handled the occasional light snow and all in 2WD.
I maintain the manufacturer maintenance schedule and beyond normal fair wear and tear, e.g., tires, etc. have incurred no unusual expenses beyond a dashboard crack at around 55K miles.
There is no reason you shouldn't enjoy equal or better use from your Denali.
We considered a new one and admit they're gorgeous but my "Chief of Staff" said "why?" and she was correct. Ours still looks great and gets as many compliments as our C5 Corvette.
So go forth, drive it and enjoy!

029.jpg

Mike M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I keep mine in 2WD. The owner's manual states that using 2WD most of the time reduces wear and tear on the various mechanical components. The owner's manual does state that AUTO 4WD will not cause damage but does pose the risk of earlier wearing out of mechanical components.

First, good luck to Csurp with your ‘18’ GMC. No question, a beautiful SUV.

I hope the people from GM monitor this forum. My comment will probably sound like sour grapes.
I’ve owned 3 GMC Yukon’s, all purchased new.
I probably will never buy another one. They have just priced me out of the market. It’s not that I can’t afford one.
IMO they are now way overpriced with much more technology than I need, or am willing to pay for.
I know it’s just a personal decision for anyone. People are all at different stages and circumstances in their lives.
I, for one, am over an SUV that list in excess of $70K.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, good luck to Csurp with your ‘18’ GMC. No question, a beautiful SUV.

I hope the people from GM monitor this forum. My comment will probably sound like sour grapes.
I’ve owned 3 GMC Yukon’s, all purchased new.
I probably will never buy another one. They have just priced me out of the market. It’s not that I can’t afford one.
IMO they are now way overpriced with much more technology than I need, or am willing to pay for.
I know it’s just a personal decision for anyone. People are all at different stages and circumstances in their lives.
I, for one, am over an SUV that list in excess of $70K.

tahoe's start at $47K

Mike M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
tahoe's start at $47K

I know what they start at. You won’t find many of these ‘base’ models on dealers lots.
Most of what’s discussed here are trucks way above the base models.
Add a few options to a 4wd Denali or Tahoe LTZ, you could be quite a bit over $70K. And, I was just thinking of the ‘17’ models. I’m sure the ‘18’ is going up.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa. Anyway at least on my Expedition the way it is was the front locking hubs were activated in auto and therefore spun with the front half shafts, but they spun freely. The transfer case sent no power forward to the front differential unless slip was detected. All auto meant was your Hubs were locked and armed so it was no big deal. I have no idea how GM 4WD works haven’t owned many. I’m usually a Ford guy, love the Expeditions but not a brand loyalist I’ll drive any nice American vehicle. That being said I’d think it’s the same situation here with GM that no additional wear is added. The manual is the manual though.

How would you compare the ride of your 2015 Denali with your old Expedition? I’ve heard several folks on here say their Yukon Denali’s drove smooth in the first year or two of ownership and then became rough suddenly. That might be a fluke though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcraddick11

Latest posts