Will in Nashville's 2005 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great looking truck! Love the esky bits! They just look like the belong on the NBS Denali SUVs. That hood and roof resprat came out awesome! Mines doing the same thing and I’ve been toying with the idea of painting it myself….. I just don’t have the time. Nice work on the paint though she looks great!
Thanks Chase! Dunno if you remember but you actually pointed out the differences in the Esky glass, which helped me get the right one. I never noticed before that some had the trim around the border and some did not. Took me a bit to find and Escalade rear hatch that did not have the border trim.

I try to do as much as I can by myself nowadays, but the paint was a big project. I was lucky enough to have a suitable garage and a week off from work to knock it out. There are other spots on it that need to be resprayed, but they're small. The hood and roof were getting to the point that I was embarrassed to drive it that way and still call myself a car guy

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chase! Dunno if you remember but you actually pointed out the differences in the Esky glass, which helped me get the right one. I never noticed before that some had the trim around the border and some did not. Took me a bit to find and Escalade rear hatch that did not have the border trim.

I try to do as much as I can by myself nowadays, but the paint was a big project. I was lucky enough to have a suitable garage and a week off from work to knock it out. There are other spots on it that need to be resprayed, but they're small. The hood and roof were getting to the point that I was embarrassed to drive it that way and still call myself a car guy
I do remember that conversation haha. I’ve had both styles of glass and I agree the 2005 and 2006 style is so much better. I have an esky glass now without the border as well that was several years in the maki f of searching before scoring the glass off a 2005 in a wrecking yard.

I hear ya on paint. Mine is worse. Not just my roof and hood look like yours did but it’s going all along my doors, my fenders. It annoys the daylights out of me.

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do remember that conversation haha. I’ve had both styles of glass and I agree the 2005 and 2006 style is so much better. I have an esky glass now without the border as well that was several years in the maki f of searching before scoring the glass off a 2005 in a wrecking yard.

I hear ya on paint. Mine is worse. Not just my roof and hood look like yours did but it’s going all along my doors, my fenders. It annoys the daylights out of me.
I have one door that's starting to show signs of delamination and one spot on top outside of the roof rails. I thought about getting it while I was doing the hood and roof, but I didn't want it to snowball into an entire paint job. In black. For my first time painting. I'll get it eventually but at least now I feel better about it than before

Runfor5

Reaction score
This looks dope, nice work! Have to say I prefer those chrome OEM-looking wheels initially over the ones you bought, but whatever you like sir. Car looks way sharp after the fresh paint - I was thinking while viewing those photos how my wife would kill me if I tried that haha. "The fuuuuumes!", I can hear her now... The red 2-door in the initial photos you posted was awesome too.

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This looks dope, nice work! Have to say I prefer those chrome OEM-looking wheels initially over the ones you bought, but whatever you like sir. Car looks way sharp after the fresh paint - I was thinking while viewing those photos how my wife would kill me if I tried that haha. "The fuuuuumes!", I can hear her now... The red 2-door in the initial photos you posted was awesome too.
Thanks!

Those chrome 20s are the factory wheels that came on it. They're rare enough that a lot of people haven't seen them. For the build, I wanted wheels that were larger diameter but something everyone else wasn't using. When I came across these, I was pretty stoked because you don't often see 5 spoke 6 lug wheels.

The garage is actually right under our master bedroom. Between the plastic I hung and the exhaust fans I rigged up but didn't show in the pics, no one complained about any fumes at all. I asked repeatedly about it, too. Definitely not looking to poison the family or anything.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Those chrome 20s are the factory wheels that came on it. They're rare enough that a lot of people haven't seen them. For the build, I wanted wheels that were larger diameter but something everyone else wasn't using. When I came across these, I was pretty stoked because you don't often see 5 spoke 6 lug wheels.

The garage is actually right under our master bedroom. Between the plastic I hung and the exhaust fans I rigged up but didn't show in the pics, no one complained about any fumes at all. I asked repeatedly about it, too. Definitely not looking to poison the family or anything.
I like the factory chrome 20s you had but I’ve also always been a bit partial to that set of wheels. Lol. It’s interesting I see them a lot here in California.

I’m working on some smaller paint projects as well and same thing.. I’m like “ooh I gotta make sure I get rid of fumes….”

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a couple box fans with air filters and cardboard under a partially opened garage door to get some airflow. Must've done the truck - the family didn't notice any fumes even in the rooms directly above the garage

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work my man. I’m partial to NBS Denalis not sure if you’ve seen mine but my build thread has a link at the bottom of this post. I’ve been thinking I might end up repainting the roof on The Beast some day since the clear up there is starting to fade-in a few spots. It’s up high so I figure if I mess it up it will be better than flaking clear and I see you took that same attitude and it worked out for you. And I’m sure you know , these trucks will go 300-500,000 miles easily with good maintenance. Nice truck sir.

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work my man. I’m partial to NBS Denalis not sure if you’ve seen mine but my build thread has a link at the bottom of this post. I’ve been thinking I might end up repainting the roof on The Beast some day since the clear up there is starting to fade-in a few spots. It’s up high so I figure if I mess it up it will be better than flaking clear and I see you took that same attitude and it worked out for you. And I’m sure you know , these trucks will go 300-500,000 miles easily with good maintenance. Nice truck sir.
Thankya thankya, it means a lot to me. I've been a fan of your Denali for a looooooong time now, although I confess it's been a while since I last checked out your build thread.

For me, the "how much worse could I possibly make this" attitude has made owning this a lot more fun. Professionals are professionals and most of the time the quality of work will be way better than mine, but no one will care about your truck more than you.

I was close to getting rid of it a few times, and now I'm glad I didn't. Just like most of my past rides, I know I'd miss it if I did

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a couple months since I posted, was just driving and tweaking. Or at least I was until January.

I got the dreaded "oil pressure low" one day when firing it up cold. I was close to time for an oil change so I did that. The oil change cleared it up for a week or so, but then I started getting "oil pressure low" every time I started it. After 10-15 seconds oil pressure was ok, but lower than I would like.

I have almost 190k on the truck, but would like it to last a lot longer. I figured the oil pickup tube o-ring was probably toast so I started ordering parts to change it. I like to knock out the "while you're in there's" so I ordered a new o-ring, pan gasket, cooler gasket, and a new pickup tube. I didn't think there would be a lot of sludge, but a new pickup tube is pretty cheap insurance just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts