Jiffy Lube experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave01

Reaction score
About your comment about tires falling off - I use a really good tire store, not as cheap as the national chains but great service. When you buy tires or do anything that removes a wheel, they ask you to come back after 100 miles so they can re-torque the lug nuts. I never do so, but think it's an indication of their commitment to doing it right that they ask for that step as a double check.

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be about Jiffy Lube but here's a good story about my local dealership. Few months ago my son has his 2010 Tahoe in the air to do front brakes. He takes a look and the oil filter is dripping. He had an oil change 2 weeks earlier. The filter was just about to drop off. Funny thing was that there were oil drips in the driveway. I figured they were from my landscaper's equipment and I never paid them any mind. Then I saw more oil drips in the driveway in the following days. My son was kidding around and decided to check the filter on my 2012. Would you friggin know it mine was loose also. Talk about lightning striking twice. Anyway last time I went back they told me they had fired their oil change "tech" and the new guy was good. Thing is I always changed my own oil but they do it for 7 bucks for the lifetime of a new vehicle. Can't beat that so now when I get home I just check the filter! But doh last time they changed the oil they must have spilled oil because I smelled it for days.
I would never mix universal fluids into anything. I don't care what the label says. I would never sleep at night! There's reasons why manufacturers call for specific fluids. I believe they know what's best. My '95 Impala SS used the old green stuff while my wifes used Dex-Cool. Most people with '96's swapped back to the green stuff but I stuck with the Dex and never had a problem.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
This may be about Jiffy Lube but here's a good story about my local dealership. Few months ago my son has his 2010 Tahoe in the air to do front brakes. He takes a look and the oil filter is dripping. He had an oil change 2 weeks earlier. The filter was just about to drop off. Funny thing was that there were oil drips in the driveway. I figured they were from my landscaper's equipment and I never paid them any mind. Then I saw more oil drips in the driveway in the following days. My son was kidding around and decided to check the filter on my 2012. Would you friggin know it mine was loose also. Talk about lightning striking twice. Anyway last time I went back they told me they had fired their oil change "tech" and the new guy was good. Thing is I always changed my own oil but they do it for 7 bucks for the lifetime of a new vehicle. Can't beat that so now when I get home I just check the filter! But doh last time they changed the oil they must have spilled oil because I smelled it for days.
I would never mix universal fluids into anything. I don't care what the label says. I would never sleep at night! There's reasons why manufacturers call for specific fluids. I believe they know what's best. My '95 Impala SS used the old green stuff while my wifes used Dex-Cool. Most people with '96's swapped back to the green stuff but I stuck with the Dex and never had a problem.

old dexcool and green coolant never mixed well. It turned it into DeathCool and sledged the cooling system and gelled it all up. As far as dealers, They are not all bad. It only takes one bad experience before someone bad mouths them A lot of the time its a communication error. I understand people cant afford to go to the dealer and also dont know how to turn a wrench. If thats the case, why do they bother driving something nice, neglect the maintenance but also dont bother to maintain it themselves? They should be driving some pos and drive it until no longer runs.

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I was not "bad mouthing" the dealer. I actually have a good relationship with them. Just telling the truth about my experience. It wasn't one experience. They left the oil filter loose twice on 2 of my Tahoes! I bring my 2012 to the dealer because I work 6 days a week and don't want to spend my day off under the truck. I'd rather work on my Vette that the dealer never saw since I bought it in '07! (Voided the warranty after 900 miles, lol). Also I don't want to hear any crap down the road after the truck is in the extended warranty. I know I can do the oil changes myself but you know the hassle they give you should you need a repair.
On my sons 2010 he brought it in for a state inspection and just figured that as long as it was there it needed an oil change and he might as well have them change the oil.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dexcool is a ishhy fluid. if you miss your 50k changes it will begin to gunk up and cause a whole bunch of fun stuff for you to deal with :). according to GM it shouldnt be mixed with anything and if you think it was you should completely change it IMO.

on a side note id never even let jiffy lube work on my worst beaters. let alone my LTZ or my SS

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lure of a cheap oil change got me just before a road trip and I was closing in on an oil change time.

As to the Dexcool, I am tempted to change it to a regular/standard green coolant because of all the problems I've read about people having with it. Now that Jiffy Lube filled my reservoir with who knows what, I guess it will be time to change it soon.

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe in putting back what ever GM recommended. For the life of me though I still can't understand the whole Dexos thing. According to the dealer If I have a motor problem and they test the oil and it's anything other than dexos the warranty is voided. What is difference in the motors between my '10 and my '12? They do say that the oil is backwards compatable though.

Dave01

Reaction score
The Dexos 1 approved list is pretty long, but I noticed some well known brands missing, most notably Valvoline. I'd say it's pretty easy to pick a very good oil on that list, but if you like Valvoline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. you're using a non-approved oil.

What is the first year the Dexos standard applies to?

99_Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dexos 1 approved list is pretty long, but I noticed some well known brands missing, most notably Valvoline. I'd say it's pretty easy to pick a very good oil on that list, but if you like Valvoline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. you're using a non-approved oil.

What is the first year the Dexos standard applies to?

That is not true. Valvoline has dexos equivalent oil.
y4upytap.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700