Is this aftermarket grille meant to be painted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received a replacement grille for our 1995 Tahoe from LMC Truck. I'm not looking to get into a debate on their products, customer service, etc. I'm just looking for a clarification on the part itself. According to their catalogue, there is this version (aftermarket) available and an OE "grey" version that is "paint to match". However, if you look at the pictures in the catalogue, the color looks exactly the same, but the descriptions do not match (black is not grey in my opinion). The color of the grille is not JET black, but is more/less a lighter black. I called LMC and they told me that this grille can be put on as is, no paint needed. It looks fine, I just don't one that was MEANT to be painted...if that makes sense. See the catalogue link below, part 39-4067 and 39-4064. Here is a picture they sent me from their stock, looks exactly like the one I received. So, leave as is or needs to be painted?

EDIT: The OE part number for this grille is 15981092, color described as "argent" or silver.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=57

Tahoe Grille.JPG

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure LMC knows their product so whatever they say should be it. The way I read the catalog, "a" is for the sport package and it's chrome, "b" is paint to match and thus it's primer grey and the one you got is neither "a" or "b" but is instead black and it's black because people want black parts nowadays instead of chrome for the murdered out look. They probably didn't figure they needed an actual grey picture for the grey one.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure LMC knows their product so whatever they say should be it. The way I read the catalog, "a" is for the sport package and it's chrome, "b" is paint to match and thus it's primer grey and the one you got is neither "a" or "b" but is instead black and it's black because people want black parts nowadays instead of chrome for the murdered out look. They probably didn't figure they needed an actual grey picture for the grey one.

Understood. But here is what I am starting to think... both their replica version and the OE version are meant to be painted. They will "pass" for black, but are not BLACK BLACK. The fact that the OE version and the repro. have the exact same picture just adds to the confusion. If you can find me a picture of a "gray" one, this confusion would be all cleared up. But the fact seems to be that this IS the gray version. I purchased a black grille on Amazon for our previous Tahoe ('99) and it was black as can be, this simply isn't. Looks like there was an OE part number for a BLACK grille (15981093), but is no longer made. I guess I should have just gone with the original chrome-style one. *sigh*

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paint it if you're worried. You can rattle-can that thing easy. I painted my grill on my 08 CC with Krylon Dual Suoerbond in satin black and it came out great. I wouldn't try gloss. Just use Scotchbrite pads on it, then clean with alcohol and spray it. Or put it on as is and see how it looks after awhile. It might be ok but if not, then you can paint it. You can even get matching cans of spray paint from www.automotivetouchup.com and spray it to match.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint it if you're worried. You can rattle-can that thing easy. I painted my grill on my 08 CC with Krylon Dual Suoerbond in satin black and it came out great. I wouldn't try gloss. Just use Scotchbrite pads on it, then clean with alcohol and spray it. Or put it on as is and see how it looks after awhile. It might be ok but if not, then you can paint it. You can even get matching cans of spray paint from www.automotivetouchup.com and spray it to match.

Not really worried. Honestly, do you think that just leaving it as is will cause it to wear over time? I mean, it isn't like putting a primered door panel on your car and leaving it that way, right? It doesn't look terrible, it just isn't what I thought.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is if it's not painted it might stain but that's about it.

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport package 95 to 99 matte black color is correct
Not black-black

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE