Is there one place to see the best mods & improvements for Tahoes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniper_x

Reaction score
I'm looking for a singular place to review all the mods for each system in the 3RD gen Tahoes.
-Brakes
-Engine (Tuning / Supercharging, etc.)
-Exhaust
-Interior
-Radio/electronics
-Lighting (Head/Tail)
-Suspension
-other bolt-on improvements

I'm spending HOURS trying to locate a place that has field-tested advice of mods & improvements.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an imcomplete list for the GMT900:

BlackBear Performance tune for engine (minimal) and transmission (where the tune shines) - there's not a lot of gains for any tune on a stock 5.3 without adding headers and a cam.

Intake - pointless without a cam, headers, and tune

Exhaust - pointless without headers, intake, and a tune

Interior - who cares?

Radio - look at the Audio subforum

Lighting - buy new bulbs, have fun ripping the fender liners out

Suspension - are you running 1/4-mile F&F at the the track, or creeping around in Moab, or going to the grocery store?

Other bolt-ons - I love my Weathertech floormats.

Realistically, you need to provide some context to what you want out of your vehicle, because there's no such thing as a one-size/fits-all upgrade... unless you can easily throw a 6.2 in to replace the 5.3 boat anchor.

I look forward to others chiming in to add to this.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
Here's an imcomplete list for the GMT900:

BlackBear Performance tune for engine (minimal) and transmission (where the tune shines) - there's not a lot of gains for any tune on a stock 5.3 without adding headers and a cam.

Intake - pointless without a cam, headers, and tune

Exhaust - pointless without headers, intake, and a tune

Interior - who cares?

Radio - look at the Audio subforum

Lighting - buy new bulbs, have fun ripping the fender liners out

Suspension - are you running 1/4-mile F&F at the the track, or creeping around in Moab, or going to the grocery store?

Other bolt-ons - I love my Weathertech floormats.

Realistically, you need to provide some context to what you want out of your vehicle, because there's no such thing as a one-size/fits-all upgrade... unless you can easily throw a 6.2 in to replace the 5.3 boat anchor.

I look forward to others chiming in to add to this.

I wasn't looking for a one-size-fits-all upgrade in any category.

You're making some ridiculous assumptions about what I'm asking and also what what you seem to think I'm capable of.
My request about engine, intake, exhaust, etc. got a "pointless without a cam, headers, and tune" remark.

All of which I'm capable of - having built cars and fabricated in everything from wood, metal and leather to glass.
I can handle rebuilding & modding whole damn truck.

So, based on the reply you gave - I also am looking forward to other replies from others.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there isn't a one stop shop per say,
but there is about 40,000 post's here, that should take you a while to get thru

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
there isn't a one stop shop per say,
but there is about 40,000 post's here, that should take you a while to get thru

Agreed.

I'm learning a lot here, but hoped to find a place where I can review success stories with things like brake upgrades, etc.

I already know about many things, like the electric fan upgrade, and several radio and onstar mods

I'm hoping to find ways to upgrade performance using OEM stuff (Like when we discussed the Z71 add-ons to an LTZ trim), then aftermarket once we have determined those are well beyond the OEM gear. (Like brakes)

I asked this question just after getting into a quandry about Wildwood vs. Brembo brakes.

I like the Brembo Chevy kit, but haven't read too much about either (yet).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

I'm learning a lot here, but hoped to find a place where I can review success stories with things like brake upgrades, etc.

I already know about many things, like the electric fan upgrade, and several radio and onstar mods

I'm hoping to find ways to upgrade performance using OEM stuff (Like when we discussed the Z71 add-ons to an LTZ trim), then aftermarket once we have determined those are well beyond the OEM gear. (Like brakes)

I asked this question just after getting into a quandry about Wildwood vs. Brembo brakes.

I like the Brembo Chevy kit, but haven't read too much about either (yet).
brake upgrades can be costly if you are willing to spend the 4k then the willwood seems to be the best bang for the buck, I upgraded to Bear erradispeed rotors which was around 1200.00 I just cant bring myself to spend 4k on brakes without it stopping in 10ft at 100mph lol. There are also 4 piston oem upgrades off of the new 21+ trucks that people are doing I think the cost is not a lot. you just have to have large enough wheels to fit them.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't looking for a one-size-fits-all upgrade in any category.

You're making some ridiculous assumptions about what I'm asking and also what what you seem to think I'm capable of.
My request about engine, intake, exhaust, etc. got a "pointless without a cam, headers, and tune" remark.

All of which I'm capable of - having built cars and fabricated in everything from wood, metal and leather to glass.
I can handle rebuilding & modding whole damn truck.

So, based on the reply you gave - I also am looking forward to other replies from others.

All those impressive skills (you forgot to list keyboard warrior), and you never bothered to learn & master the use of a search engine for a 15-year old chassis.

Probably better if you just buy a Camry, and drive that into the ground.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Charlie is here often and spends a lot of his time being helpful to others, as a volunteer. As another volunteer who benefits from his experiences, I want him to be willing to keep doing that. Because I feel like I know him at least a little, I interpreted his message as trying to be genuinely helpful to you while also providing feedback to you that your request was too general in nature for him to provide specifics. I agree.

This is a welcoming community of volunteers, so please try to assume positive intent before firing the cannon. If you build a reputation here for being volatile, you probably won't get much help. But if you're kind and earnest in your communications here, remembering that all of us are volunteers, and you take the time to give back when you can, there is no better place on the interwebz to get help and insight on these trucks. Trust me on that.

All of that aside, and to your original request: I wish I had a shortcut for you in the form of a compendium of tried/true/tested upgrades, but nothing like that exists. For all of us, it has been a process of searching and learning as we go. And when we learn something, many of us will share that experience in the form of a HOWTO or other similar writeup, as I did for my cam swap and cooling system upgrades.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
Wait... I'm being "volatile?!"

My question was a genuine one, and not the result of "poor search skills" or anything like that.

There are COUNTLESS numbers of things that can be done to improve a vehicle in various ways in all the categories I suggested.

Charlie answered my question with an attitude of "there are no improvements" (unless you're gonna add engine internals).
As if I wasn't going to find anything - especially since I'm not likely going to do engine work.

It's VERY COMMON for forums to start a thread of fixes, upgrades and modifications that have been discovered over time.
So, my question wasn't "too general" -in fact it was quite specific.

It was:
"Is there a place that this group is keeping a list of mods and upgrades that have proven to be valuable?"

I didn't ask for anyone to tell me all the improvements for each category.

Regarding your reply to my original question:

If you read your answer next to Charlies' initial response, and you can't see how "volatile" it is in comparison, then as a new member, I am concerned the culture here is going to be pretty harsh.

Let me also point out that your response actually reinforces my original thought that there was likely a place where this information exists.
many of us will share that experience in the form of a HOWTO or other similar writeup, as I did for my cam swap and cooling system upgrades.

^^^^
THIS is what gives rise to the thread of links to other's threads regarding fixes and improvements.
The fact that this group hasn't pulled all this together is fine, but let's be honest here...

It's a VERY reasonable thing to have asked if that thread existed somewhere - not "too general in nature for him to provide specifics".
(Again, note that I didn't ask for specifics, just if ONE thing existed here.)

Finally, with regard to being a "keyboard warrior", I don't know what criteria is being used.

The standing definition appears to be:
"A person who behaves aggressively and/or in an inflammatory manner in online text-based discussion media"

Something I wasn't at all.

The first reply to my post was dismissive, aggressive while answering multiple questions that I DIDN'T ASK.
I didn't ask for specific upgrades - just if there was a place where they were tracked.

If you're truly interested in figuring out what happened here, I hope you'll see what I'm saying.