Is buying a Tech 2 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I ordered mine today... don't have any shipping notice or tracking yet but I'm eagerly anticipating it... started having some issues with my DD (2000 Buick) that could use the assistance of such a tool... asked my wife right after venting my frustrations about the car issues and I didn't even have to convince her about how useful it would be!

Which one did you do? Link?

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which one did you do? Link?
The kit from chinacardiags.com, w/o hardcase, linked previously in this thread. FWIW, when I first looked a few days ago there was a coupon code for 6% off; it wasn't listed today but thankfully I have a photographic memory and I was able to recall the extremely difficult coupon code (code: chinacardiags) and save an extra 6%. My total, with shipping, was $302. It was going to be an additional $52 just to add the hard-case ($26 increase in price, plus another $26 shipping). Messages were very prompt from seller, "Ok, money got, send right away!"

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my Tech2 today. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't ship out until 4 business days after ordering but dang did it make it across the pond and through customs quick. Shipping info was received tuesday morning, it went through Hong Kong DHL facility Tuesday night, and it was delivered to my BFE rural midwest address mid-day today. Everything was in the box except the TIS2000 USB license key
; I have yet to verify TIS2000 works w/o it. I did NOT have the fit/interference problem with the PCMCIA card fitting in the slot. I simply held the slot open, slid it it, plugged it, and powered it up. GM English 33.004 software version.

I'll play around with it on one of my vehicles tomorrow. I will also see if it works on my Dad's '14 Suburban. Tech2 only goes up to '13 at the latest but I've heard because the '14 Suburbans were essentially the same as the previous model years it should still work on Suburbans.

First things on my list (other than general exploration):
2000 Buick needs remotes matched to it again. After sitting with the battery disconnected for a while at a transmission shop it lost pairing and they can only be paired with Tech2
2000 Buick needs tire size adjusted so speedometer reads right, hoping I can do that.
2005 Yukon XL needs remotes paired properly, both remotes work but they both pull up the same 'Driver 2' seat/mirror/pedal memory positions.
2005 Yukon XL need TPS recalibrated. My ELM327 & app says 18% TPS when it's at idle. I think this may be causing it to downshift early losing a few MPGs in the hills.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will also see if it works on my Dad's '14 Suburban.

I've wondered aloud about this too. If it does not work, call it a 2013 and see. I have called mine a Cadillac and a Monte Carlo to access other features before.

If yours is 4WD, select K and not C or you will not see the Transfer Case module and such.

Have fun!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Got my Tech2 today. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't ship out until 4 business days after ordering but dang did it make it across the pond and through customs quick. Shipping info was received tuesday morning, it went through Hong Kong DHL facility Tuesday night, and it was delivered to my BFE rural midwest address mid-day today. Everything was in the box except the TIS2000 USB license key
; I have yet to verify TIS2000 works w/o it. I did NOT have the fit/interference problem with the PCMCIA card fitting in the slot. I simply held the slot open, slid it it, plugged it, and powered it up. GM English 33.004 software version.

I'll play around with it on one of my vehicles tomorrow. I will also see if it works on my Dad's '14 Suburban. Tech2 only goes up to '13 at the latest but I've heard because the '14 Suburbans were essentially the same as the previous model years it should still work on Suburbans.

First things on my list (other than general exploration):
2000 Buick needs remotes matched to it again. After sitting with the battery disconnected for a while at a transmission shop it lost pairing and they can only be paired with Tech2
2000 Buick needs tire size adjusted so speedometer reads right, hoping I can do that.
2005 Yukon XL needs remotes paired properly, both remotes work but they both pull up the same 'Driver 2' seat/mirror/pedal memory positions.
2005 Yukon XL need TPS recalibrated. My ELM327 & app says 18% TPS when it's at idle. I think this may be causing it to downshift early losing a few MPGs in the hills.

Ugh. Still haven't pulled the trigger on this. Which link did you buy from?

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered aloud about this too. If it does not work, call it a 2013 and see. I have called mine a Cadillac and a Monte Carlo to access other features before.

If yours is 4WD, select K and not C or you will not see the Transfer Case module and such.

Have fun!
I figured I would have to call it a '13 to get it to work but we'll see this weekend when we go visit grandma and grandpa. Also agree on the k/c, mine is a k1500.

What sort of other features have you been able to access by calling it a cadillac and monte-carlo?

Ugh. Still haven't pulled the trigger on this. Which link did you buy from?
Chinacardiags.com
When I looked earlier in the week the kit w/o case had dropped $20 in price (to $239 + $59 shipping) but the "chinacardiags" discount code only took 1% off instead of the 6% I received so it only accounted to about $8 cheaper than the price I paid...

ETA, the chinacardiags kit comes with just about every physical adapter you can imagine, Power adapters: 110V US spec wall plug, 12V cigarette lighter plug, & 12V alligator clips plug, Communications adapters: more than I can describe because I don't know what most of them are for. It comes with about 5 different cd's/dvd's, and the icing on the cake, legit-looking "Vetronix" sticker set for the Tech2, CANDI module, etc for those that want to be real posers with their chinese counterfeit Tech2's. The Vetronix stickers even say "Made in USA" on them... haha

Last edited:

widetrackman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been watching the thread and also wondering should I get or need a Tech 2. Well, a couple days ago 2008 Tahoe fuel pump went out I think, not sure, so called Chevy dealer here in Oxford, Ms. to get cost to replace; OMG $445 pump, $455 labor + tax = $1,000 -- for a $200-225 Ac Del pump (at Rock or Zone) or it might be a FPCM for approx. $600 which they would have to program eek. So on you guys discussions and recommendations I have one on the way from Chinacardiags. Hope I can figure out how to use it as the only experience I have is with my Snap-On Red Brick only on my Ford FS Broncos. Have never done diagnostics on GMs because I only own one,the Tahoe and as to date never any problems. Thanks for everyone's input to this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645