Is buying a Tech 2 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had DHL packages come from China that took forever, weeks. It depends on how fast they get through US Customs, not necessarily the shipper. I've seen shit sit at NY customs for 2 weeks, some that went through the same place in a couple days. It seems to be a crap shoot although both times they went through San Francisco they came through in a few days.
It's really hit or miss with customs. I had a 3 package shipment coming back from the sand-box, I put copies of all customs forms on the outside of every pkg and 2nd copies on the inside. 1 of 3 & 3 of 3 were delivered in just over a week. 2 of 3 got split off at one point and then tracking showed up as "customs hold". I called fedex several times over the next 2 weeks and was given the run-around about how they can't do anything and blah blah blah. In the meantime it gets moved to a "FedEx Storage facility in ???, Missouri". I keep calling once in a while and keep getting the same runaround. Then, one day I get a call from FedEx, very obviously a different department that has no idea I've been calling for weeks trying to straighten things out. This guy is very eager to get it straigtened out. He said the facility that is holding it is a customs facility that FedEx has to pay exorbitant storage fees for. I told him I've been calling them for weeks to straighten it out and kept getting the run-around. He was not very happy. I explained the situation to him (the other 2 pkgs with the same shipment were already delivered and that if the customs forms were ripped off the outside all they have to do it open it up for a 2nd copy). He said he'll call back if he needed anything else. Within hrs tracking showed it leaving the storage facility.

The Tech 2 is a godsend, especially at the pricepoint its selling at. This is a 3500 dollar tool that previous generations have bought. Its also one of the only bi-directional scantools that will read and interact with OBD 1 vehicles. Most if not all only do the reading. In conjuction with the Tech2 you would also need to have a proper shop manual or a AllData subscription as its the shop manual in Electronic form. Its one thing to have a great scanner but you still need the proper info to work with it. Both the GM manuals and the Alldata are designed to work with the Tech 2 and there info is baked in.
So you have to have the digital manuals from either of those sources to get full functionality of the Tech2? I have a benefit provided through my employer that gets me digital subscription to Chilton (IIRC) service manuals but it has to be through their digital library. I'm assuming that wouldn't work.

So I can still use the tech2 to scan and control modules etc, I just don't get on-screen trouble-shooting trees etc right?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have to have the digital manuals from either of those sources to get full functionality of the Tech2? I have a benefit provided through my employer that gets me digital subscription to Chilton (IIRC) service manuals but it has to be through their digital library. I'm assuming that wouldn't work.

So I can still use the tech2 to scan and control modules etc, I just don't get on-screen trouble-shooting trees etc right?

No, what is meant is that the Tech2 shows you the data and then use your Chilton's shop manual fix it. Let's say someone's AC starts blowing hot on one side. The Tech2 can discover the code identifying the offending actuator and test it. If it's broken, the Chilton's guide shows you how to get in there and replace the actuator.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, what is meant is that the Tech2 shows you the data and then use your Chilton's shop manual fix it. Let's say someone's AC starts blowing hot on one side. The Tech2 can discover the code identifying the offending actuator and test it. If it's broken, the Chilton's guide shows you how to get in there and replace the actuator.
Ok, I was thrown off by the "Both the GM manuals and the Alldata are designed to work with the Tech 2 and there info is baked in." comment. I thought maybe the digital manual actually works ON the Tech2 showing diagnostic trees etc.

I really am a Tech2 newb and I'm not a big technology buff so it's easy for me to misunderstand.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LTZ, I have the "Service Suspension" on my DIC shows up on occasion... Can I turn that off with a Tech II?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LTZ, I have the "Service Suspension" on my DIC shows up on occasion... Can I turn that off with a Tech II?
I don't think so, you can pull the fuse and make it stay on all the time though :), does your air pump run everytime you turn the key to start?

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it does not run every time... I have replaced the stupid pump twice now, neither time I got the message...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You can clear the code but if there's a problem it will come right back. If you've modified your suspension I've read that there are ways to trick the computer or maybe a custom tune could turn it off.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just says "Service suspension" I do not have a code yet... only a GM dealer could read it (unless I get a tech II) which is why I posted my question of whether or not I could program it out. I know the LT did not have the magnetic ride, nor did the SLT, only the Cadillac, Tahoe/Suburban LTZ, and the Yukon Denali. Since I have 170K on it now, I was going to put regular shocks and struts on it from the LT and just program out the suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts