Is buying a Tech 2 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a soft bag from Harbor Freight that holds mine fine with all the adapters in pockets inside. It was about $8 I believe. As far as the Tech II, I wish I'd have bought it sooner but was concerned it would be a PIA to get it to work. It was easy. I bought from a US seller and didn't have to wait for shipping from China.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooo... Who currently has "the deal" on these things? Ebay? Any particular seller? I know it's been discussed off-and-on over the past couple of years but sellers and availabilities change. Maybe @Doubeleive should buy some in bulk and sell 'em to us in a group purchase through his eBay.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I bought a soft bag from Harbor Freight that holds mine fine with all the adapters in pockets inside. It was about $8 I believe. As far as the Tech II, I wish I'd have bought it sooner but was concerned it would be a PIA to get it to work. It was easy. I bought from a US seller and didn't have to wait for shipping from China.

Link?

Sooooo... Who currently has "the deal" on these things? Ebay? Any particular seller? I know it's been discussed off-and-on over the past couple of years but sellers and availabilities change. Maybe @Doubeleive should buy some in bulk and sell 'em to us in a group purchase through his eBay.

Now your thinking! I'm in.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my brief reading the go-to right now is a website called chinacardiags.com some reported getting them as low as $219 a few years ago but it appears they're going up in price. Likely because they're old technology now and I doubt GM is buying anymore so the. only market is folks like us (the reality is that we aren't a huge market. My brother, a self-employed mechanic, didn't even know you could buy a clone Tech 2 for that cheap. They're over $300 now, but still cheaper than the $350+ ebay prices.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naw, but a rental service for studious members is a possibility.....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to my brief reading the go-to right now is a website called chinacardiags.com some reported getting them as low as $219 a few years ago but it appears they're going up in price. Likely because they're old technology now and I doubt GM is buying anymore so the. only market is folks like us (the reality is that we aren't a huge market, my brother, a self-employed mechanic didn't even know you could buy a clone Tech 2 for that cheap). They're over $300 now, but still cheaper than the $350+ ebay prices.
That's a great price they have and it comes with software 33.004 which is the latest. It comes from China though so keep in mind it could take up to a couple weeks to get it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great price they have and it comes with software 33.004 which is the latest. It comes from China though so keep in mind it could take up to a couple weeks to get it.
The thread on the other forum where I found that said they're shipping DHL, arriving in less than a week. I did see reference that if you buy bulk (4 or more) for a really really good price they may come on the slow-boat because the package is too big to send DHL.