New Aftermarket Shocks or OEM Z71's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have posted a few questions related to shocks but this is all new to me. I have a 2008 Yukon SLT, only 120k miles with original shocks, springs, etc. I am looking to upgrade to something a little better for "light" off-road use. 90-something-percent of driving will be highways going up highways and mountain passes in Colorado with the occasional forest service roads to camping spots, hunting spots, etc.

My first thought was to upgrade to the Bilstein 5100's however someone mentioned using Z71 OEM shocks and springs to split the difference between a good experience on the pavement and off-road.

Is this even possible? Would the Bilstein's be a better way to go?

Also, thinking about upgrading the control arm as some of the off-road trails could snap the original arm.

Thanks again

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5100’s would be my recommendation. I wouldn’t bother with control arms, really only helpful when you’re leveled beyond a reasonable amount 2.5” or more putting too much stress on the UCA to limit droop. Unnecessary with a reasonable level or 5100’s.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SunnyInCo For what you are saying, go with Bilstein 4600s. I have 5100s for the last 2 years and while they are tough as shit they aren't the most comfortable.

Stay with factory style control arms, these things are beefy as shit you gonna break a lot before the control arm breaks.

schwamw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed Bilstein 4600's on my 2004 Tahoe with 120k miles, replacing the OEM Shocks. Love them, they are a significant improvement in both normal pavement ride and dirt road washboards. Don't do any heavy hauling so didn't need the 5100's. I recommend them strongly!

Thanks to all the prior posters that steered me in this direction!

OP
OP
SunnyInCo

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
I installed the 5100's back in November. If no one told me the socks were swapped out, I would have no idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu