Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_bcstrout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 96 throttle body intake manifold and want a little better mpg. Not looking for extra hp or tourqe. Ive thought about buying a newer multiport. Are their any aftermarket intakes that will increase MPGs.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
for the vortec, not really. there are cold air kits and plenum spacers. but unless you have a raised hood you can not likely use both at the same time. there are options for more mileage like e-fans, cat-backs and cold intakes but you would get a power boost as well. if you have the original designed injector then you could benefit from the newer one. how much will depend on the condition of old one. driving habits are key as well. what is your mileage like now and vehicle condition like? do you suspect something is a goof with the injection system?

OP
OP
_bcstrout

_bcstrout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No ive magnoflow series 40 cat back. I have no other engine mods. Dont usually get on it. 200,000 miles original motor and trans.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to be that guy here, but these trucks do not get good mileage. Sucks but it is true. You will spend a bunch of time and money and by the time you are done you may pick up a couple MPG. I get 11-13 in my trucks. If I wanted good mileage I would drive a smaller vehicle.

You touched on the secret though, stay off the gas. That is the best you can do. Proper tire pressure, change the fluids and so on but in the end the cost of the gas you save will not amount the cost of all the stuff you did to reach that goal. It's cheaper to leave it alone in my opinion is mileage is the goal.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

OP
OP
_bcstrout

_bcstrout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hate to be that guy here, but these trucks do not get good mileage. Sucks but it is true. You will spend a bunch of time and money and by the time you are done you may pick up a couple MPG. I get 11-13 in my trucks. If I wanted good mileage I would drive a smaller vehicle.

You touched on the secret though, stay off the gas. That is the best you can do. Proper tire pressure, change the fluids and so on but in the end the cost of the gas you save will not amount the cost of all the stuff you did to reach that goal. It's cheaper to leave it alone in my opinion is mileage is the goal.

yeah I figured that there isn't much but in getting 11 right now. I didn't know if there were any simple ways like new injectors or air intake or simple things like that, that would increase by one or two mpg.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
well if anything then i would get the waveforms of the o2 checked to see the results. it may be that they maybe effecting your gas mileage and if still using the old injector design perhaps at 200+k it may be time to switch over as the old design by now would have to be all gunked up by now. especially if used with non tier 1 gas most of its life. if all parts used in tune are delco and delphis and not worn out as well as good oil consumption then i think you will benefit from the new design. as i mentioned tho good o2 sensors play a role in that as well. even at 200+k you can still do better in gas mileage then what you get now being stock. this would be a good investment if planning to keep it around for a while.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score

like he said proper tire pressure you can even take that one step further good alignment,shocks even, you mite squeeze a mile or two by going with royal purple or amsoil but that mite expose any leaks also detailing yer engine
i picked up a few MPG just by simply running ethanol free gas

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
i have no idea what kind of mpgs i get..... and i dont want to know lol. x2 on the ethanol free gas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman