Intake manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the cover/shield is for attached to the back of the intake manifold? Between the manifold and the firewall.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's for sound deadening. I removed mine when I added 4 corner steam kit to my engine, and that cover got in the way. I haven't noticed anything different with it removed

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's for sound deadening. I removed mine when I added 4 corner steam kit to my engine, and that cover got in the way. I haven't noticed anything different with it removed
I always figured it was there to protect the plastic intake manifold from the heat that funnels up through the transmission tunnel from the cats when sitting and idling for a long time in hot weather. No idea, but I'm glad you haven't found any negative effects from removing it. I may remove mine if I ever have to remove the intake manifold again.

OP
OP
itsbo1313

itsbo1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have you had it off?

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always figured it was there to protect the plastic intake manifold from the heat that funnels up through the transmission tunnel from the cats when sitting and idling for a long time in hot weather. No idea, but I'm glad you haven't found any negative effects from removing it. I may remove mine if I ever have to remove the intake manifold again.
The GM vans do not use that part and their cats are located about the same distance away.

I have had that cover off since I've installed my new engine back in March. I have drove it in 110 degree weather, had it at 11k altitude, and also have been off-road with it this way. There have been no issues. I am about to take a 3600 round trip with it next week, I don't foresee any issues.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM vans do not use that part and their cats are located about the same distance away.
I learn something new here every day. Good to know. Next time that manifold comes off, that shield is going into the recycling bin.

Safe travels on your trip. We're heading out on Saturday for a 4500 mile trip west, staying in Longmont for a few days at the end of August/early September. Gonna hit the West Side Tavern and spend some time with old friends. When we lived in west Old Town, we walked there from our house on Judson several times a week.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learn something new here every day. Good to know. Next time that manifold comes off, that shield is going into the recycling bin.

Safe travels on your trip. We're heading out on Saturday for a 4500 mile trip west, staying in Longmont for a few days at the end of August/early September. Gonna hit the West Side Tavern and spend some time with old friends. When we lived in west Old Town, we walked there from our house on Judson several times a week.
I live in Longmont! I am about to head east, back to Steelton, PA

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the cover/shield is for attached to the back of the intake manifold? Between the manifold and the firewall.
I think it is there to make removing the oil pressure sensor a real pain in the neck. Maybe some other purpose as well, but I think that is the primary purpose. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia