Instrument Cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 yukon with the 5.3 v8. Im having a problem with my guages, well a few electrical issues actually but ill stick to the guages in this thread. The guages light up but none of the needles move. Also most of the warnings dont work except the check engine light of course. Like when it shuts down due to the reduced engine power i have no warning until the throttle doesnt respond. The digital readout is out too.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I talked with a parts place today and of course they didnt have a used one for me to try but they were all in agreement that its the cluster itself not some other cause and they can get one all programmed for $220

OP
OP
Yukon Lover

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes thats driving me nuts too but this is about gauges. There are plenty of threads about the reduced engine power issue.

EMF Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes thats driving me nuts too but this is about gauges. There are plenty of threads about the reduced engine power issue.

You're experiencing exactly the same thing I was when the plug that goes from my ignition harness to the fuse box wiggled every so slightly loose. I unplugged and plugged back in, problem solved. Alternatively, it could be your ignition switch causing the same problem.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of replacing parts using the whole guess and check method (try a part and hope it fixes then try another if not...repeat til complete) BUT I have done it before in desperate times. I had a blazer that had some eletrical issues, everyone swore the limp mode was ignition switch harness, that they commonly fail. So I tore the colum apart, replaced the switch....No go. $100 and a few hrs wasted. I then was told the BCM, so spent a few hrs messing with the harness and that, still nothing. Then was told it could be the PCM itself, still nothing.

My problem ended up being the mainwire harness in the transmission. I am NOT saying that is what yours is, I am just saying there could be a ton of things it could be.

Have you taken the gauges out recently? Is it possible the main harness on the back has not been plugged in all the way? I know my response is kinda all over the place...sorry, I ramble at times.

The gauges take no time to pull out, do you have a friend or anyone that you can test their gauges in yours to see if maybe its the circuits that are out or if it is directly related to the gauge cluster itself?

OP
OP
Yukon Lover

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, i sometimes too am all over the place with responses. Transmission! What the?! I havent taken the gauges out they just stopped working one day. The needles are pegged at normal operating range and do not move but still light up. I dont know if putting another cluster in would work as it needs to be programmed for your vehicle but thats why I went to the junk yard to try it and they would let me just try it and if it didnt work still let me return it.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I didnt realize the guages cant just be swapped out. Well keep us updated on what you find out.

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they can just be swapped out, the only thing that will be different will be your mileage

OP
OP
Yukon Lover

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew that about the mileage but i thought there wre other reasons for programming to function properly in your vehicle. Do you know this for sure? Also I cant turn off my traction control or shift the electric four wheel drive. Connected? If so maybe i can find a used one elsewhere at least to try and them maybe go for the all programmed one for $220.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84