Instrument Cluster Bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denalixl13

Reaction score
Hey guys, one of the bulbs is out on my 06' Yukon Denali XL's cluster, and I've been doing some reading on how to change them. It seems as though for like 2000-2003 models, all you have to do is unscrew the bulbs and change them, and its quite simple. But for the 2004-2006 models, they had to make things really difficult, so you actually have to solder in the new bulbs?

I was considering just getting an aftermarket cluster, I really like the billet aluminum one with the blue lights in it, but you have to get them programmed? So before the company would ship the cluster out, they would have to program my mileage and vin number for me?

My other option is replacing the bulbs, and going with blue LEDs. They'll look great and last a long time. I just want to see what the best option here is, I have a place in Cherry Hill NJ that can handle changing the bulbs with no problem, but I don't want to spend the money if I can do it myself. I'm fairly good at soldering.

04lade

Reaction score
well if you end up with an aftermarket cluster it has to be programmed, either by them or a dealership if your confident enough in urself on soldering go for it man

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, No NO. 00-02 have replaceable bulbs. You can replace them with a 194 bulb and a twistlock base. Here is a write up on how to do the 99-02 clusters.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16850

On a 2003-2006 cluster, the bulbs are soldered in and (according to GM) are non replaceable. But they can easily be replaced if you have good soldering skills and a steady hand. Here is a detailed write up on how to replace the stock bulbs with LEDs on a 03-06.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24215

I have done dozens of these conversions for other forum members. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, I can do it for $50 plus shipping costs both ways. I supply all the LEDs and resistors and everything. Just PM me if interested. :Handshake:

OP
OP
D

Denalixl13

Reaction score
Thanks guys, mine is an 06' so it looks like I will have to solder the new ones in. ScottyBoy, you said resistors? What are they needed for if I'm just replacing stock bulbs?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, mine is an 06' so it looks like I will have to solder the new ones in. ScottyBoy, you said resistors? What are they needed for if I'm just replacing stock bulbs?

Resistors are needed if you swap to LEDs. There is no such thing as "stock" bulbs. GM does not make a bulb for the cluster, because they claim its not a replaceable bulb. But some people have gone to radio shack and found a pretty close match. Not exact, but close. They are usually a little bit dimmer than the stock bulbs.

OP
OP
D

Denalixl13

Reaction score
So if I buy the blue ones you used and the resistors, will they be as bright or brighter than stock?

OP
OP
D

Denalixl13

Reaction score
I've got the bulbs, and I'm starting to solder the resistors on. Haven't taken the cluster apart just yet, but wish me luck!

05whitenali

Reaction score
I am also looking to do this very soon when I get my stepper motor in to fix my speedometer. I just can't wait to have a working speedometer again but the led's will be a cool change too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts