No instrument lights, bad light switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmjmjm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all!

I got my 2002 Tahoe z71 just about a month ago and noticed instantly that the instrument cluster dimmer control was acting up. There was no lighting in the cluster or any controls until the dimmer was just at 100%, just before you go to the “all lights on” mode which is the last click on the dimmer. I had to go back and forth on the dimmer like crazy to find the position where the cluster lights up but without turning on the ceiling lights.

So I think the switch was bad but never got around to ordering a new one.

Now all of a sudden the cluster is dark and impossible to get to light up at all. So I ordered a new switch and hopefully that’ll fix the issue. Problem is I live in Sweden so it’ll be here in January lol.

But is there anything else that COULD be the problem? I’ve been messing around with the dash panel etc a lot from installing a new stereo, I’ve bypassed the stock amp, disassembled the fan controls to fix a bulb etc etc. could there be anything else causing the cluster and all controls to be dark? A relay or something? I’ve checked fuses and cannot find anyone that is bad.

I disassembled the light switch and the circuit board looked really bad, and I tried electronic cleaner to remove grease but still doesn’t work.

Could I measure the switch to see if it’s the problem? Anyone have a pin out? Maybe then I could also just bypass the switch until I get my new one…

Thanks in advance and sorry for the loooong post.

TL;DR anyway to make sure it’s actually the headlight switch/interior light dimmer that is bad on a -02 Tahoe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts