Gauge Cluster Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon XL. A few months ago, I was dealing with an airbag code and had an open circuit somewhere (nothing broken, just loose connection somewhere). I did find it, but in the process of elimination I pulled the gauge cluster to see if I could find anything loose behind there. When I did that, two of the background lighting bulbs went out behind the gauge cluster, the fuel bulb and the right side of the speedometer. After a week or so, the fuel light came back on and lit up the speedometer enough that it really didn’t bother me. Then today the fuel light is off again, making it just a little difficult to read the fuel level at night or read higher speeds. I know it’s very possible it’s coincidence that the bulbs just happened to go out, but I was wondering if there’s any other explanations? I didn’t see any obviously loose wires on the harness, or anything stripped.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon XL. A few months ago, I was dealing with an airbag code and had an open circuit somewhere (nothing broken, just loose connection somewhere). I did find it, but in the process of elimination I pulled the gauge cluster to see if I could find anything loose behind there. When I did that, two of the background lighting bulbs went out behind the gauge cluster, the fuel bulb and the right side of the speedometer. After a week or so, the fuel light came back on and lit up the speedometer enough that it really didn’t bother me. Then today the fuel light is off again, making it just a little difficult to read the fuel level at night or read higher speeds. I know it’s very possible it’s coincidence that the bulbs just happened to go out, but I was wondering if there’s any other explanations? I didn’t see any obviously loose wires on the harness, or anything stripped.
The bulbs in your 2005 cluster are soldered to the component board. They’re somewhat delicate. Pulling the cluster can sometimes knock the bulbs loose in their solder joints. I’m guessing because they worked intermittently that’s likely what happened. You will need to dis assemble the top of the cluster and the gauge face overlay to access where the bulbs are soldered into the board behind the overlay. It’s pretty simple to disassemble. A little fresh solder with a solder gun will restore the lighting. Could also be a good time to replace the bulbs with fresh ones.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The bulbs in your 2005 cluster are soldered to the component board. They’re somewhat delicate. Pulling the cluster can sometimes knock the bulbs loose in their solder joints. I’m guessing because they worked intermittently that’s likely what happened. You will need to dis assemble the top of the cluster and the gauge face overlay to access where the bulbs are soldered into the board behind the overlay. It’s pretty simple to disassemble. A little fresh solder with a solder gun will restore the lighting. Could also be a good time to replace the bulbs with fresh ones.

^^^ x2 Lots of YouTube videos on light and stepper motor replacement. The first part of this video shows how to pre-mark the gauge needle positions so you don't have to experiment with that later.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ x2 Lots of YouTube videos on light and stepper motor replacement. The first part of this video shows how to pre-mark the gauge needle positions so you don't have to experiment with that later.
Excellent point made! I watched a very detailed video, had zero experience with a solder gun at all, and just replaced some failing LED backlighting in my 2006 cluster. It was pretty straight forward and my cluster is properly backlit again. I’ll see if I can copy and paste the link to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar