Rear side window delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
As most of you know I have an overland Tahoe... Right now I am just thinking out loud...

What I have in mind is removing the left rear window and replacing it with an aluminum plate. I might do the same with the right window or a variation of things below... Here are few ideas of what I am thinking.

1. Install shelves on the inside for storage and molle slots to attach other things.

2. Install a dry hatch with shelves on the inside that can be accessed from inside or outside.

3. Install a hatch with only outside access for storage of dirty stuff like recovery gear.

4. Add brackets or mounting points outside for recovery tracks and shelves inside.

5. Any combination of the above... These are just a few things I have thought about doing.

I also need to figure out a way to insulate that area since all of my truck body has additional insulation in the panels.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea. It would take some modifications to make it sturdy and weather tight.

What kind of storage would you gain from that though? I would think a box that you can access from either side might cause issues with the front seats?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Prolly want to use steel panels for the glass replacement. Alum and steel will react with each other eventually and corrode from electrolysis.

CCF / closed cell foam has one of the best insulation factors and bang for the buck. A wholesale auto upholstery supply store is the go-to place for it. It will knock down the noise better than dynamat type products too.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Interesting idea. It would take some modifications to make it sturdy and weather tight.

What kind of storage would you gain from that though? I would think a box that you can access from either side might cause issues with the front seats?
Aluminum can be plenty strong enough and weather proofing a hatch is pretty simple. The stock window is glued in and could be reinforced with extra hardware if needed. As an industrial design engineer I would have no problem with making this work.

So far as the front seats that is not the rear window I am talking about.. I am referring to the windows on the side in the very back not window in the door.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Prolly want to use steel panels for the glass replacement. Alum and steel will react with each other eventually and corrode from electrolysis.

CCF / closed cell foam has one of the best insulation factors and bang for the buck. A wholesale auto upholstery supply store is the go-to place for it. It will knock down the noise better than dynamat type products too.
There will be no reaction since the two metals will never be in bare contact with each other. The rear windows are glued in and I can use the same stuff to hold the panels in place with possibly some extra hardware or clamps if needed depending on what I do with them.

My windows already have 1 inch closed cell foam insulation panels for camping. I have 1/2 inch sound deadening, insulation with a vapor barrier in all doors, side body panels and roof now.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Found this on the expiditonportal:

Some more ideas for the fire.
Thank you those videos are pretty helpful. Fortunately I have a lot better fabrication equipment than those guys. I will do my design on CAD and use a CNC plasma cutter to cut things out. I might use hidden hinges on mine if I put a door in.

I just need to decide just what I want to do back there.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Looking forward to whatcha have planned. Speaking of overland, I can’t figure out why built in car vacuum cleaners made it to market before a hot shower attachment for the tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan