Installing a backup Camera (here we go, finally)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*lol* yeah these things act a little weird. For example, if you would disconnect the VSS wire, navigation etc would work BUT, it will not update the display, unless you stop and take the car out of gear. (nav screen, clock, music titles.. nothing changes/updates, unless you take the car out of gear OR have the VSS lead actually connected.

glad you got it going though

Ron

Well that is good to know because right now my VSS wire is not hooked up but then again I have not tried to use the navigation so I did not know it would do all that. Glad I know I have to hook it up before I try to use the Navigation. Next is the back-up camera wiring and then hopefully if everything keeps working as it should I will hook up the XM Radio antenna and subscribe. One problem at a time. Thanks.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My camera is connected to a 'spare' ignition keyed power tab in that junction box near the brake pedal. The ground needs to actually go to a ground/sheet-metal. The RCA connector runs to the radio.

Ron

With the power being up front and key on don't you have to worry about the camera being on all the time the vehicle is running thus shortening the life of the camera? I was going to power mine from the reverse light wire in the back so it would only be powered and on when the vehicle is in reverse since that is the only time I can see the picture from the camera? Maybe my thinking is off again?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is good to know because right now my VSS wire is not hooked up but then again I have not tried to use the navigation so I did not know it would do all that. Glad I know I have to hook it up before I try to use the Navigation. Next is the back-up camera wiring and then hopefully if everything keeps working as it should I will hook up the XM Radio antenna and subscribe. One problem at a time. Thanks.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Yeah you should attach the VSS lead, it's easy, just with one of these 'splitter connector' that is what I used. There's a video on youtube that shows you where to tap into (it's a wire in one of the harnesses in that junction box, near the brake pedal... it's the green and white lead, that needs to connect to the green/-white wire in the harness

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the power being up front and key on don't you have to worry about the camera being on all the time the vehicle is running thus shortening the life of the camera? I was going to power mine from the reverse light wire in the back so it would only be powered and on when the vehicle is in reverse since that is the only time I can see the picture from the camera? Maybe my thinking is off again?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Typically, nowadays, with electronics, it is better to have them on for a good while than switch them on and off all the time. Factory it is done that way too.

There are radios, with newer software, from what I understand, or just newer radios, where you can view the backup camera while driving.. and also, some models have a rear view mirror where you can see the rear camera all the time.

Also, if you would hook them up to the backup lights, your screen will turn black for 3-5 seconds, because the radio wants to display the video signal for that long after you switch from reverse to drive. (you can see that even with the camera not attached, or nor working)

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you should attach the VSS lead, it's easy, just with one of these 'splitter connector' that is what I used. There's a video on youtube that shows you where to tap into (it's a wire in one of the harnesses in that junction box, near the brake pedal... it's the green and white lead, that needs to connect to the green/-white wire in the harness

Ron

I had it hooked up before but I cut it at the dash just to the left of the radio so I could take the radio and wiring harness out. I have not yet hooked it back up since if the other issues continued I was going to leave the original radio in so it would not have been needed. Now I need to drive the truck for a couple more days and if everything keeps working properly then I will contact Matt and discuss the issue with his wiring harness. Nothing else has been done other than take his harness out and put the one that came with the radio in and my power shutting off issue has gone away so I would have to say the issue is in his harness somewhere?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you would hook them up to the backup lights, your screen will turn black for 3-5 seconds, because the radio wants to display the video signal for that long after you switch from reverse to drive. (you can see that even with the camera not attached, or nor working)

Ron

You are right. I have noticed the black screen before the backup lines appear on the screen (since I do not have the camera hooded up yet) and I never gave it much thought but since the camera is NOT hooked up and it does that, won't it continue to do that once the camera is hooked up?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it hooked up before but I cut it at the dash just to the left of the radio so I could take the radio and wiring harness out. I have not yet hooked it back up since if the other issues continued I was going to leave the original radio in so it would not have been needed. Now I need to drive the truck for a couple more days and if everything keeps working properly then I will contact Matt and discuss the issue with his wiring harness. Nothing else has been done other than take his harness out and put the one that came with the radio in and my power shutting off issue has gone away so I would have to say the issue is in his harness somewhere?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

That is what I expected, and I think I mentioned before. A lot of computers nowadays (and your NAV radio is one) use a signal to turn something on. Usually it is a high line that's forced low, or a low line that's forced high.

I think a line in the harness is bad (I suspected that.) I think it would do the same as... You get in the car, turn it on, and shut the radio off. After you shut the radio off and NOT open any doors, the radio will turn off at some point, (so that it doesn't run down the battery).

I think the line that tells the radio "this is the car, I am still running" is 'broken' in that harness, so the radio thinks, car is off, door wasn't opened.. I go shut off.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right. I have noticed the black screen before the backup lines appear on the screen (since I do not have the camera hooded up yet) and I never gave it much thought but since the camera is NOT hooked up and it does that, won't it continue to do that once the camera is hooked up?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Yes it does that before and after. Also, if you turn the car from park to drive, it would basically "surge" the camera with a short on/off pulse... not the best thing for electronics, to turn them on and immediately off again before the electronics had a chance to initialise. It's better to just leave electronics running for some time.

If the camera is hooked up, it would be on when the car is running, so it just switches to the camera picture instead of black. It's a factory feature, the backup camera is supposed to do that.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you switch the steering wheel to one with the Bluetooth buttons? Did the truck have the wiring already or did you have to add it? Do you have Bluetooth working in your truck?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you switch the steering wheel to one with the Bluetooth buttons? Did the truck have the wiring already or did you have to add it? Do you have Bluetooth working in your truck?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Yes I did get the steering wheel with the audio controls. My old steering wheel was kinda worn anyway, and had the rubber coverings, which can get really hot in the sun. I bought the new steering wheel, it is really easy to install (just be careful with the airbag) and all controls work. the "phone buttons" mute the radio, but I think that is because there is no phone input.

I am actually thinking about maybe getting a vcim module, or similar and see if I can make that work (if possible at all), so no, no bluetooth (yet)

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts