Backup Camera View Doesn't Display in Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Pioneer AVH-1300NEX head unit about five years ago in order to use Apple Carplay and for the most part it's worked pretty well--however, about a year ago it developed a weird issue where the display doesn't automatically switch to the backup camera when I shift into reverse. I know the backup camera still works because I can get it to display by going into settings and selecting the option to adjust the backup guide. But that's annoying to have to do every time so I've spent the past year using my mirrors to reverse like a barbarian.

I've pulled the head unit to double check the wiring a few times and can't seem to find any issues. I disconnected the reverse wire from the wiring harness and actually soldered them together today, but the issue is still persisting. Has anyone run into this issue before?

For reference, here's my setup:
Pioneer AVH-1300NEX
Metra Axxess wiring harness
MicroBypass parking break override

Pic of the rat's nest:
IMG_4908-2.JPG

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This likely isn’t your problem, but did you apply heat (via gun or lighter) to those solder shrinks? They’re very loose and the solder isn’t melted in the picture.

Wish I could help more.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a Pioneer AVH-1300NEX head unit about five years ago in order to use Apple Carplay and for the most part it's worked pretty well--however, about a year ago it developed a weird issue where the display doesn't automatically switch to the backup camera when I shift into reverse. I know the backup camera still works because I can get it to display by going into settings and selecting the option to adjust the backup guide. But that's annoying to have to do every time so I've spent the past year using my mirrors to reverse like a barbarian.

I've pulled the head unit to double check the wiring a few times and can't seem to find any issues. I disconnected the reverse wire from the wiring harness and actually soldered them together today, but the issue is still persisting. Has anyone run into this issue before?

For reference, here's my setup:
Pioneer AVH-1300NEX
Metra Axxess wiring harness
MicroBypass parking break override

Pic of the rat's nest:
View attachment 420628
if it works while adjusting the lines then it is probably the radio, take pictures of your desired fine settings, eq, crossover, etc
then factory reset the radio and re adjust your settings to desired parameters using your pictures.
also check the pioneer website for whatever the latest firmware was and update it if you have never done it.
this is usually done with a sd card if equipped otherwise it will be a cd/dvd or maybe a thumb drive, just read the instructions.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sounds like the trigger wire for the reverse camera is compromised. Anyone know what the tech processes is verifying the reverse signal wire is live?

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the trigger wire for the reverse camera is compromised. Anyone know what the tech processes is verifying the reverse signal wire is live?
This is exactly what I was thinking, but I couldn’t find any obvious problems with the wire

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it works while adjusting the lines then it is probably the radio, take pictures of your desired fine settings, eq, crossover, etc
then factory reset the radio and re adjust your settings to desired parameters using your pictures.
also check the pioneer website for whatever the latest firmware was and update it if you have never done it.
this is usually done with a sd card if equipped otherwise it will be a cd/dvd or maybe a thumb drive, just read the instructions.

Factory reset didn't fix it. I'm still going to update the firmware though, but I don't think it's the issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory reset didn't fix it. I'm still going to update the firmware though, but I don't think it's the issue.
have you checked the other settings in the radio for the backup camera there should be one that say's reverse image I think try toggling the settings.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This likely isn’t your problem, but did you apply heat (via gun or lighter) to those solder shrinks? They’re very loose and the solder isn’t melted in the picture.

Wish I could help more.
I noticed that as well, they don't appear to have ever been heated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660