Installing a backup Camera (here we go, finally)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

today my backup camera showed up in the mail, so i thought I'd start a new thread (mostly because I had a few people mail me on here about the nav radio install and also the backup camera.

I might get started this weekend (but no promises) after I figure how easy it is to remove the tailgate trim etc, mount the camera in the trim piece... etc etc... (I already found some tips on how to fix the bezel, in case the screws break, on youtube).

step 1: ... this is the camera I bought, OEM, but with an RCS cable plug, that goes into the harness and a black and red wire, for power and ground.

Ron

IMG_20180516_173900927.jpg

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Im sure you will be fine.

Thanks, the company that sold me the camera is looking up to what wire in the car's harness to hook the red lead up to.. and other than that.. it's mostly messing with trim etc it seems.

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if only I can get someone to tell me what wires to hook to what on my factory camera I would be a Happy Camper! My wires off the factory GM camera go into a plug and they are dark blue, light blue, gray and white. Anyone have any idea what hooks to what?????

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if only I can get someone to tell me what wires to hook to what on my factory camera I would be a Happy Camper! My wires off the factory GM camera go into a plug and they are dark blue, light blue, gray and white. Anyone have any idea what hooks to what?????

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Maybe someone with a factory installed camera can read the signals for you, the 12V and GND should be easy to find. You said yoiu bought the tailgate harness, doesn't it show there? Else, maybe someone has a schematic.

Oh and.. any markings on the plug? (maybe even on the inside) ?

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the company that sold me the camera is looking up to what wire in the car's harness to hook the red lead up to.. and other than that.. it's mostly messing with trim etc it seems.

Ron

The audio/video guy that sold me the camera said that the GND wire is an actual ground, so needs to go to sheet metal or so, not another wire. The red/positive lead needs to go to a 'switched pin' in the same connection box as where the VSS wire was spliced. (Also, the camera connect to a 12V src, there's a voltage reducer built into the camera)

Ron

Last edited:

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said yoiu bought the tailgate harness, doesn't it show there? Else, maybe someone has a schematic.

Oh and.. any markings on the plug? (maybe even on the inside) ?

Ron

The liftgate harness has 4 wires in the plug for the camera. They are Dark Blue, Light Blue, Gray and White.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, (Detroit, MI Mike)... Saw your last email, about people saying it can't be done; check the thread http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/after-market-audio-amplifier-install.100926/ and my lost post from Mar 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM where I did a little of a write up on how to install the OEM HDD Nav Radio, it has pictures of the radio, harnesses and the amp and a description of what plugs into what.

That should get the radio part going You'd also need the GPS antenna for that radio, and it can be installed in the factory location under the dash (works very well).

It can be done, because mine is working just fine... (actually there is not even much difference between between the Bose speakers and the ones that come in your SSV).

I'll put up pics etc and what to connect where for the back up camera too.

Ron

btw: I did get the GPS antenna also from the OEMRadios guy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The liftgate harness has 4 wires in the plug for the camera. They are Dark Blue, Light Blue, Gray and White.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Oh btw.. are there any markings on your camera? lookup the serial and or model online maybe?

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

I wouldn't want to fry a $250 camera, but it looks like the blue ones are a pair and the gray/white ones are a pair. If I had to bet, I'd say dark Blue is GND, light blue is VCC gray is signal-gnd and white is signal(video)... BUT that would be a wild guess, it doesn't seem to be a standardized color scheme, like red/black/yellow/green. doesn't the harnessgive a clue about what colour wire goes where? (dark blue --> black, light blue --> red etc?)

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu