Rear Camera Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockoC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My rearview camera has been 'wonky' for some time. Sometimes, I get the dreaded "service rear vision system" message on a blue screen, especially in wet weather. Sometimes, I get a picture, but it's terrible; other times, it is perfect.

Here's why I'm stumped. I upgraded the capabilities of my Infotainment system with brand new GM radio and HMI modules, and recently, a brand-new GM camera. What else is there to replace or check? I'm dreading taking it to the dealer. God knows what they would "find" and how much it would cost.

All other functions (lights, signals, radio, hatch, etc.) are working just fine, by the way.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time. RockoC

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Go Raiders. Have you tried putting the old camera back in? Same issue?

OP
OP
RockoC

RockoC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reverse lights working ok? Check the fuses?
Absolutely everything else is working perfectly. That's why I'm stumped. Radio module, HMI module, and backup camera are all new GM parts.

I know the previous body style had a large wiring harness under or near the underside of the rear bumper. People claimed cleaning the connections sometimes fixed the same symptoms with their cameras. I'll check to see if this body style has something similar.

Thanks for your reply.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my rig the wiring goes through the top of the lift gate. These were known to have chafed wires between the body and gate.

OP
OP
RockoC

RockoC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my rig the wiring goes through the top of the lift gate. These were known to have chafed wires between the body and gate.
You just gave me an idea. I'll check the GM wiring diagram before taking the truck apart or crawling underneath and searching blindly. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts