Installing a backup Camera (here we go, finally)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... replacement camera came in yesterday, and installed it today....

and yay... it's working like a charm... I noticed it being uncomfortable watching it while backing up, I guess it is a good means to check what's right behind you. Same as with the "backup assist".. not something to depend on, just an adde feature to help.

The "backup assist" and backup camera definitely help... because I figured that 'Tahoe' must be 'TX slang' for 'can't see a damn thing with all these dead angles because of the pillars and head rests"

Ron

20180616_145025.jpg

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the camera working. Once I get my radio stuff figured out I will finish my wiring for the camera and the XM radio but not until I get the radio to quit acting up. Glad to see you making progress on yours.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the camera working. Once I get my radio stuff figured out I will finish my wiring for the camera and the XM radio but not until I get the radio to quit acting up. Glad to see you making progress on yours.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Installing the camera is pretty straight forward, one just has to 'route' the wires through trim, so you need to take the tailgate covers off and from there route it through the 'ceiling' Easiest I found was to route it through the boot, from there to the rear dome light, fish it out and from there to the driver side C pillar, going down, and from there to the front. My camera is connected to a 'spare' ignition keyed power tab in that junction box near the brake pedal. The ground needs to actually go to a ground/sheet-metal. The RCA connector runs to the radio.

I am thinking about the XM part, if I can get free weather and traffic info with that. I posted before, when I was driving in a busy area in Dallas a few weeks back, I heard traffic announcements a few times, which was somewhat weird, since I don't have XM, I was listening to "usb audio" and I don't think GPS sends traffic info? Maybe it picked up an XM signal even without the antenna?

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

I wonder if Matt from OEM radios could test/fix your radio. Also, I would have gone after the ebay seller, he might have the two week return policy BUT that's for regular merchandise, not broken stuff. (but I am just like that).

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Matt from OEM radios could test/fix your radio. Also, I would have gone after the ebay seller, he might have the two week return policy BUT that's for regular merchandise, not broken stuff. (but I am just like that).

Ron

I have asked Matt and he basically said they only fix radios that they sell. They do not repair other people's radios. As for the Ebay seller, he sold me a radio that worked perfectly fine when I installed it so what exactly is his fault that I am have issues later? I tried to get him to work with me and I can not argue the fact that it is an electronic item that I have modified by having programming done to it and it worked fine when installed even after being programmed. Not much more he can be held liable for.

I am growing tired of all the drama and am about ready to go back to the stock radio and just forget about all the additional stuff. This is not worth all the drama. I just went through a divorce after 12 years of marriage and I have enough drama already. This was supposed to be my present to myself to take my mind off how bad I got rung through the ringer by the lawyer and judge and it has been all bad! Thanks for your suggestions but I give up.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... replacement camera came in yesterday, and installed it today....

and yay... it's working like a charm... I noticed it being uncomfortable watching it while backing up, I guess it is a good means to check what's right behind you. Same as with the "backup assist".. not something to depend on, just an adde feature to help.

The "backup assist" and backup camera definitely help... because I figured that 'Tahoe' must be 'TX slang' for 'can't see a damn thing with all these dead angles because of the pillars and head rests"

Ron

View attachment 201618

Looks good. i took all my headrests out. I can't stand them blocking my view and not being able to reach around/over them.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. i took all my headrests out. I can't stand them blocking my view and not being able to reach around/over them.

and in a Suburban you have larger widows in the back, but you of course have 3 rows of seats. I kinda reasoned, *lol*, that Tahoe is TX slang for "you can't see a darn thing with these dead angles"

Oh and thank you!!.. I tried to do it in a OEM look and feel, I just like it that way.

Ron

Last edited:

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I need to learn more patience! I finally pulled the Nav radio back out and plugged in the GPS antenna and then drove the truck to work this morning. When I stopped for gas and turned the truck off the radio kept playing like it should and when I opened the door it turned off. Shockingly when I got back in the truck and restarted it the clock had held the correct time instead of resetting to 12:00! Maybe Ron was right and I just needed the GPS antenna to fix the clock issue. That is why I came here was to get help from people who are much smarter than I am. Thanks.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I need to learn more patience! I finally pulled the Nav radio back out and plugged in the GPS antenna and then drove the truck to work this morning. When I stopped for gas and turned the truck off the radio kept playing like it should and when I opened the door it turned off. Shockingly when I got back in the truck and restarted it the clock had held the correct time instead of resetting to 12:00! Maybe Ron was right and I just needed the GPS antenna to fix the clock issue. That is why I came here was to get help from people who are much smarter than I am. Thanks.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

*lol* yeah these things act a little weird. For example, if you would disconnect the VSS wire, navigation etc would work BUT, it will not update the display, unless you stop and take the car out of gear. (nav screen, clock, music titles.. nothing changes/updates, unless you take the car out of gear OR have the VSS lead actually connected.

glad you got it going though

Ron