Improve Transmission Longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I’m not doing any crazy mods. Just inquiring what others have done to help the weak transmission issue.

What would a second magnet do ?
As per TSB here https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachme...350568544-new-turbo-gxp-service-bulletin-.pdf

I’ve been looking at upgrading the cooler. Thanks for the make and model. I’ll be adding this very soon.

How would I bypass the radiator loop? Are there any tutorials on this
Install flexible transmission lines, or something. It goes from trans, to radiator, to cooler, back into trans. Skip the radiator step. Only do this if you have an aftermarket cooler as the stock cooler may not be able to keep it cool enough on its own

The corvette servo is something else I’m definitely doing. What is the advantage of the longer pin?
The pin on this car is how GM adjusts band tolerances.

It’s a 3rd car for me and definitely more fun to drive than any of the newer suvs I have. I’d really rather not have to “drive with a light foot” by no means am I looking to beat on it. But I’d like to be able to not have to take it easy. Short of a new trans built to address the weak points what else could I do ?
All things I listed can be done without pulling the trans apart. You can adjust shift points a wee bit higher with a tune to keep the torque off

Anything else that can reasonably be done would be appreciated.

Thanks

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heat is really bad

under Ideal condition you want to keep it about minium 140f for DEXRON4 (it viscosity changes at higher temp)

95F minimum for DEXRON-6 (since it's viscosity is thin @ room temperature )

Last edited:

Lancem

Reaction score
I have no idea what the other owners have done regarding the trans. So I’m a little hesitant to do this. But I’m definitely going to. You see no downsides to this ?

Thanks

Did all three to mine at 250K miles, I had no past history on the truck at all, the fluid was dark but not burnt. Thousands of miles of heavy towing later I'm glad that I did it and I'm still going strong.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the deeper pan alone didn't do a lot temperature wise, maybe 15-20deg (which is what they claim it will do), but the added fluid capacity also helps. I think the b&m pan and the truecool max together are a good combo, I wanted to be in the 120deg area which is exactly what I got. The B&M's for the 6l80e are often on backorder it took me 3 months to get mine and I got the only one in stock then it went back to backorder again. lol, it could be different now I was trying to get mine when there were a lot of fires in the area of there business about 2 hrs from me in Santa Rosa I think Hellwig is over there as well a lot of places were closed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added these to my truck because I am a bit rough on my vehicles, not as bad as I used to be because it just ends up coming out of your bank account, but I figured anything that will help things go a little further before breaking down is always worth it

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did all three to mine at 250K miles, I had no past history on the truck at all, the fluid was dark but not burnt. Thousands of miles of heavy towing later I'm glad that I did it and I'm still going strong.

Ok you sold me on it. I’ll be doing this shortly

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added these to my truck because I am a bit rough on my vehicles, not as bad as I used to be because it just ends up coming out of your bank account, but I figured anything that will help things go a little further before breaking down is always worth it

It’s the B&M Trans Pan 70392 correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65