I'm tuned for 91 but it runs way better on 87?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got a tune from you guys a few months back...03 Tahoe w 5.3

Optimized for 91, efan pin activated, cai, cat-back, reduced TM, etc...

I have been running 91 in it & things have been fine. My friend borrowed my truck & filled the truck up with 19 gallons of 87 (not knowing it needed 91). I get in the truck today & the thing hauls ass was more than I have ever felt.

So I have a tune for 91 but with a tank full of 87 it runs better & has more power. What's going on?

Cameron

Last edited:

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
just recently I noticed the same thing
I was VERY surprised when I put 87 in and one day started the hoe up and it was haulin ass

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if im tuned for 91 I can still put in 87 and won't get spark knock?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can put 87 in it, but the computer may pull timing to keep the knock sensors from going off....less timing/less power

Colorado Hoe II

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lower Octane fuel will burn with more power than a higher octane fuel. Higher Octane fuel will have less pre-ignition in a higher compression situation.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, I got a tune from you guys a few months back...03 Tahoe w 5.3

Optimized for 91, efan pin activated, cai, cat-back, reduced TM, etc...

I have been running 91 in it & things have been fine. My friend borrowed my truck & filled the truck up with 19 gallons of 87 (not knowing it needed 91). I get in the truck today & the thing hauls ass was more than I have ever felt.

So I have a tune for 91 but with a tank full of 87 it runs better & has more power. What's going on?

Cameron

With a traditional tune we have to make assumptions based on modifications. Those assumptions are not always perfect, but apply to most. Colder weather may also be playing a factor.

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a traditional tune we have to make assumptions based on modifications. Those assumptions are not always perfect, but apply to most. Colder weather may also be playing a factor.
So if I did the cable tune deal we could fine tune my setup? I've been eying the AutoCal...

Cameron

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can put 87 in it, but the computer may pull timing to keep the knock sensors from going off....less timing/less power

ya but they're saying more power Capt'n

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good...I'll keep running 87 since it runs better until I can pick up an AutoCal.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YETI the Yukon