I'm not understanding wheel offset and or backspacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok call me ignorant. I am going to buy new wheels for my Yukon to clear my Brembo brakes. What I have now are 22 x 9 with 24 offset, factory black wheels for 2019 Graphite Edition. I need to push to spokes out a minimum of 3/8" but would prefer a little more. What does that mean to me as far as offset?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Ok call me ignorant. I am going to buy new wheels for my Yukon to clear my Brembo brakes. What I have now are 22 x 9 with 24 offset, factory black wheels for 2019 Graphite Edition. I need to push to spokes out a minimum of 3/8" but would prefer a little more. What does that mean to me as far as offset?
Why not just run some wheel spacers? Would be way easier and cheaper unless you just want a excuse to get new wheels then I totally understand
I’ve always ran -44 -76 deep dish wheels usually the higher the number the more it’ll be tucked in until you get in the - then it starts sticking out the fender well

OP
OP
THarber

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just never been a big fan of spacers but I'm considering some 12mm hub centric to try and clear the calipers.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me a while to understand offset as well, don't feel ignorant.

The short answer is:
The higher the offset (+) number the center line of the wheel becomes closer and closer to the inside of the fender or closer and closer to your brakes and suspension parts.
The lower the offset (+) and moving down real low into (-) numbers like @Trey Hardy mentions the further outward the center line of the wheel becomes further away from your brakes and suspension parts and will eventually start to position the wheel outside the fender edge and "poke" out at some point (this varies per vehicle).

For Example:
Your current OEM wheels are 22" x 9" with a +24 offset. Offset is always provided in mm so, the OEM wheels in reference are +24mm offset.
3/8" = .375"
.375" = 9.525mm (roughly due to conversion)

So, if you wanted to buy new 22" x 9" wheels that are roughly 3/8" further AWAY from your brakes and suspension you would be looking for a set of 22" x 9" wheels with a 9.525mm (let's round up to 10mm) lower offset.

The wheels you'd be looking for would be 22" x 9" with a +14mm offset.

Wheel design and the shapes of the spokes can certainly impact brake caliper clearance also.

Here are 2 sites you can use to plug in different wheel and tire dimensions and get a rough idea on how the fitment would change or be impacted:

Keep in mind the 2 sites above are just tools and the information is not vehicle specific.

Getting some spacers for your OEM wheels isn't a bad idea and probably the cheapest option. I have purchased aluminum spacers and hub centric rings for many vehicles I have owned (including my Yukon) from here: https://www.motorsport-tech.com/index.html

They can pretty much make any kind of wheel spacer, adaptor, or hub centric ring you want.

A few things to keep in mind on spacers:
1. Make sure they are hub centric to both the hub on your vehicle and the hub center bore of your wheels. If using OEM wheels this is the same dimension. If purchasing aftermarket wheels this could be 2 different dimensions.

2. There are 2 different kinds of spacers; Slip-on and Bolt-on. Spacers that are around 10mm thick would be the slip-on style. This may require some ET Lug Nuts (extended thread) or some extended wheel studs. You would have to bump up to a minimum of .75" (19mm) thick spacer to get the bolt-on style that have new wheel studs built in.

You can browse that Motorsport-tech site for more information on the differences between slip-on and bolt-on.

I previously ran some 22" x 9" +15mm offset wheels with 285/45/22 tires on my '15 Yukon XL Denali and the wheel and tire set-up was right about flush with the fender with a factory alignment.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
THarber

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So I'm going to start with some 1/2 hub centric spacers from this company. Do you know if the factory lug bolts will accommodate this?

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use 1/4” slip on spacers or 1.25” spacers with OEM or similar rims with pockets in the mounting face OR trim your studs OR go 1.5” and run any wheel no cutting. BORA is the preferred brand for bolt on. Slip on anything will do.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I've just never been a big fan of spacers but I'm considering some 12mm hub centric to try and clear the calipers.
647B816A-2C91-4CD7-AB11-25B4B17540F3.jpeg
Don’t be scared of spacers they ain’t nothing dangerous I’ve ran em on every truck I’ve had in this pic I was running Amazon specials 2” wheel adapters with 2” wheel spacers stacked for a total of 4” of spacers per wheel with 22x14 -76 offset wheels and 37/13.50s run 70-80 everywhere I go driving hours on end for work just make sure the lug nuts are tight and check from time to time but I’ve never had one come loose before
Here’s a pic with some weight on them
988099D2-475C-479B-8D64-1CD1C18C3FDF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe