Ignition keeps igniting for a few seconds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

My 2010 Chevy Tahoe recently and sometimes during ignition start, after I just turn the key to ignite and leave it (as usually it automatically continues the ignition process); it keeps making some weird ignition sound, and stays for a few seconds more than the usual time.

The car does not stop or anything, but I am sure it is a bad sign.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'turn the key to ignite and leave it'? Do you men when you turn the key to engage the starter to turn the engine over and start the truck, but let off, it keeps spinning the engine over?

Also, you'll probably need to be more specific on 'weird ignition sound'. There can be several of them, depending on any potential issues.

Does the truck start, but you can still hear the starter spinning afterward? Is there a grinding sound, like the starter drive is not engaging the flywheel properly?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like crash test dummy said your going to have to be a bit more spacific
the best thing i can come up with from the info youve given is the starter gear that sticks out and engages the flywheel isnt retracting like its supposed to

OP
OP
B

Black_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Ok, remember old cars? You had to keep turning/twisting the key in the ignition key until the engine runs. I noticed after buying the tahoe in 2010, that I just need to twist it slightly and just remove my hand, and it continues the ignition process, and the engine runs. As heard from friends, all recent american cars have this feature, I think.

As for the sound, it is similar to when you switch the ignition key more than it should be, like the car engine already ran, but as if you continue turning the ignition key.

Yes, the car starts, but the ignition sound ( or something inside, am not sure about this flywheel) continues for a few seconds. I recently installed an airaide filter and mod intake. Any relation?

Thanks

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I'll have to test that. I've never heard of that. One would think you want the key to return from the 'start' position and stop all attempts to start the vehicle when you release pressure on the key to keep it in the start position. I don't think what you are experiencing is the way it should work. It's not safe, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpellegrino