If these were your wheels, what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a used set of these 22" Escalade Platinum wheels for cheap to go on my Yukon.

Escalade Wheel 1.JPG

Two of them are good, but two have minor curb rash. After taking the damaged ones to the wheel repair place, I found out the OEM three-stage finish can peel and fade pretty easily (he repairs them for most of the GM dealers in SC). He recommended a single-stage powder coat that is similar to the OEM finish, but far more durable (and less expensive). The problem is, they won't match. Now I could keep them on opposite sides of the truck, and no one would notice. But the other two still have the "fragile" OEM finish, which may need repairing someday. It makes more sense to fix them all before I mount tires on them and need them all on the Yukon. He's pretty much got me talked into refinishing all four.

Since I'm having all four done...I can pick any color I want! I do want to keep the chrome inserts and center cap.

The problem is, I don't know what else to pick. There aren't a bunch of these wheels out there in other colors. My internet searches haven't turned up much to render an opinion on, aside from black ones on Ebay. I saw a black Esky with these wheels painted black (with chrome inserts), and didn't like that look as much as I thought I would. I'm okay with the hyper-silver, if it comes to that. But I'm wondering if a brighter silver might look even better with the chrome. Or maybe a dark grey? Any opinions out there? I'm dropping off the other two wheels in the morning. So chime in soon! Bonus points for pics (even photoshopped) to match your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if you went with a dark red or black cherry color? Then paint your calipers the same color? That might look nice with your black rig.

OP
OP
the_tool_man

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many choices. I’m no help other than to say black wheels don’t look good to me on a black vehicle. They tend to disappear imo.
Agreed. I thought they'd look better with the chrome strips. But they looked kinda weird. I think it's because there was no silver lip to define the boundary between the wheel and tire. Just seven chrome strips that end in blackness.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I thought they'd look better with the chrome strips. But they looked kinda weird. I think it's because there was no silver lip to define the boundary between the wheel and tire. Just seven chrome strips that end in blackness.
Yes, and there’s a few aftermarket companies that make wheels like that and they look weird to me.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's tough with your truck being black with chrome trim. Since the wheels already have the chrome which ties in with the body trim, you're limited to what the paint color could be that wouldn't clash with the black and make the wheels look like they're meant for another vehicle. IMO, almost any other color wears contrasting accent colors better. I'm torn between a dark or gunmetal gray or whatever the most chrome-like the powder coater can do.