I think I have decided, going with a tahoe for an off-road/overland build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnarlyallen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after doing extensive research and realizing that Toyota's are just too overpriced for what they're, I will begin my research and go with a 3rd gen Tahoe Build, it seems the best way to start is to get a an SSV trim and go from there, but I do like all the LTZ options so I'm a little on the fence on what I want to do, at the minimum I believe I will need the following:

-Trim front and maybe back bumpers, this can go from free to purchasing an aftermarket bumper and trimming it
-Lift, I've read on some options so looking to see what is the most affordable but reliable setup
-Skid plates, have to research to see what's out there
-rock sliders
-good tires, looking at bfgoodrich k02 and Falken wildpeak atw3
-I believe Tahoe's come with stock recovery points but if not this would be an option
-Winch could be necessary depending on what I do with this vehicle

I think this summarizes the basics I believe I will need to start some off-road/overlanding, let me know if you want to chime in and help with this build
My biggest tip from the mistake I made… Find a rig with 4 low. Mine doesn’t have it, but I didn’t realize until after I bought it, and had a $4,000 BDS lift kit ordered. I’m going to have to do a transfer case swap to get 4 low, which is pretty necessary if you’re going to be off-roading and overlanding a lot. Any trim level could be ordered with 4 low, but I think it was standard on LTZ and Z71 Tahoes. Mine is an LT. Which still has the Bose stereo, 4 heated seats, dvd etc..
That being said… the Tahoe is an amazing platform to build off of. The 5.3 is super reliable. And you’ve got tons of room inside for gear, dogs, etc. I personally have a Full size 4” memory foam mattress topper that I throw in the back for a bed. There aren’t many bumper options besides the weld-your-own MOVE bumpers. But they do offer badass bumpers with winch options. I haven’t messed around with skid plates much besides the small ones that the BDS lift came with. I am having a guy in Las Vegas fab and install some rock sliders. Pretty necessary with the longer wheelbase.

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest tip from the mistake I made… Find a rig with 4 low. Mine doesn’t have it, but I didn’t realize until after I bought it, and had a $4,000 BDS lift kit ordered. I’m going to have to do a transfer case swap to get 4 low, which is pretty necessary if you’re going to be off-roading and overlanding a lot. Any trim level could be ordered with 4 low, but I think it was standard on LTZ and Z71 Tahoes. Mine is an LT. Which still has the Bose stereo, 4 heated seats, dvd etc..
That being said… the Tahoe is an amazing platform to build off of. The 5.3 is super reliable. And you’ve got tons of room inside for gear, dogs, etc. I personally have a Full size 4” memory foam mattress topper that I throw in the back for a bed. There aren’t many bumper options besides the weld-your-own MOVE bumpers. But they do offer badass bumpers with winch options. I haven’t messed around with skid plates much besides the small ones that the BDS lift came with. I am having a guy in Las Vegas fab and install some rock sliders. Pretty necessary with the longer wheelbase.
I'd be interested how the t case swap goes. I have a Denali and it's AWD which is really the only thing I don't like about it. I'd love to do a two speed, but I haven't been able to figure out if they used the same wire harness and just left the wires taped up behind the dash. No real info that I've been able to find. I was able to modify a Chassis Unlimited Sierra bumper (new brackets) to make it fit. I THINK it would work on the Tahoe/ Suburban/ Avalanche. It might actually work better as the grill doesn't protrude like the Yukon.

I made a Prinsu style rack for mine. I've pretty much exhausted all the options for these rigs. Not much out there, so we started producing our own. Production version of the rack should be finished in about a month.

Marshall 008

Reaction score
I'd be interested how the t case swap goes. I have a Denali and it's AWD which is really the only thing I don't like about it. I'd love to do a two speed, but I haven't been able to figure out if they used the same wire harness and just left the wires taped up behind the dash. No real info that I've been able to find. I was able to modify a Chassis Unlimited Sierra bumper (new brackets) to make it fit. I THINK it would work on the Tahoe/ Suburban/ Avalanche. It might actually work better as the grill doesn't protrude like the Yukon.

I made a Prinsu style rack for mine. I've pretty much exhausted all the options for these rigs. Not much out there, so we started producing our own. Production version of the rack should be finished in about a month.
I'm debating on modifying the bumper below in the future to fit my Tahoe because there is literally not bumper options for them unless you go with something that is way over built and super bulky.
How was it modifying your bumper to fit?

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on modifying the bumper below in the future to fit my Tahoe because there is literally not bumper options for them unless you go with something that is way over built and super bulky.
How was it modifying your bumper to fit?

Hey Good news! I've been bombarded with requests for a Chevy Tahoe/ Suburban specific bumper and Chassis Unlimited agreed to put it into production if we sell them. I just put them up for pre-order this afternoon and we're rolling! baselineoverland.com As for modifying a Silverado bumper it's probably not impossible, but extensive. The grill, headlights, brackets, forward spacing is all different. A GMC Sierra bumper would be closer to fitting the Tahoe than the Silverado, but the headlights are closer together on the Tahoe than on the Yukon. The Silverado headlights are way further apart than the Tahoe. It's amazing how much goes into each specific bumper. I was able to make the modifications to a Sierra bumper to fit the Yukon, but I did a lot of research and also got pretty lucky. I really like how low profile this bumper is compared to some of the other enormous options out there which cost more and are 16+ weeks out. This one only weighs about 90 lbs. New pre-orders will be ready in about 8 weeks. After that they typically run about 5 weeks.

csisson09

Reaction score
Different year of course but same concept!
Good luck!
21 Tahoe LS with 4wd. Lift on 35”s and custom front bumper.

Attachments

• image000003.jpeg
    image000003.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image000002.jpeg
    image000002.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7348.jpeg
    IMG_7348.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads