I think I have decided, going with a tahoe for an off-road/overland build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cisco13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after doing extensive research and realizing that Toyota's are just too overpriced for what they're, I will begin my research and go with a 3rd gen Tahoe Build, it seems the best way to start is to get a an SSV trim and go from there, but I do like all the LTZ options so I'm a little on the fence on what I want to do, at the minimum I believe I will need the following:

-Trim front and maybe back bumpers, this can go from free to purchasing an aftermarket bumper and trimming it
-Lift, I've read on some options so looking to see what is the most affordable but reliable setup
-Skid plates, have to research to see what's out there
-rock sliders
-good tires, looking at bfgoodrich k02 and Falken wildpeak atw3
-I believe Tahoe's come with stock recovery points but if not this would be an option
-Winch could be necessary depending on what I do with this vehicle

I think this summarizes the basics I believe I will need to start some off-road/overlanding, let me know if you want to chime in and help with this build

I wouldn't call my 2013 project a full overland but i wanted a to level it to gain 2" in front and add A/T tires as a start to be able to handle obstacles in "milder trails".. On a budget and a shop is doing the work for me. So going with the rough country self leveling 2 Inch Leveling Kit | Loaded Strut | Chevy/GMC 1500 & SUV (07-14) also replacing the rear shocks with N3 Rough country shocks. I went with he wildpeak ATW3 285's. question were you able to find skid plates? I see that GM makes one but it doesn't really give a description
Home 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe Bumper & Components - Front 15946158 this may be good enough for what I want to do with my Tahoe. Prrbaly not fo this forum but planning to buy a Lexus GX 470 ('07 or '08) for a more capable off road vehicle.

Skid Plate - GM (15946158)​

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I would call my 2011 Tahoe Lt an overland build and I love it. It has a lot more room inside than a Toyota and not that much bigger outside. It is not a serious rock crawler but, neither is the Toyota.

Most of the overlanders I do trips with are not out rock crawling because their intentions are to get out in the wilderness without breaking their rig...

Black rock Tahoe.jpg

Sleeps two comfortably inside on a 5 inch foam mattress and still has room for gear. (something a Toyota has trouble doing...

70392651_10157698448366738_8980361331253182464_o.jpg

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@socalls The SSV is like the basic police package I think. You don't really need that, you just need a Tahoe that has the Z71/offroad package which any trim can have. The LTZ has the leather and shiny electrics but that doesn't mean it will have the skid plates and tow hooks. Best to find a tahoe you want and research the RPO codes it has.

If you have the VIN number of a tahoe you can email it to [email protected] and they will email you back the build sheet for that tahoe, that will tell you everything about the tahoe (gear ratio, color, trim package options, tow options..)

What about the SSV is appealing to you?
Yes and no on the SSV. That will get the extra power wiring already in place that an overland setup will likely want to power a fridge, compressor, and so on.

The LTZ gets the electronic fiddly bits that were deleted by the SSV order.

Chensley12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would call my 2011 Tahoe Lt an overland build and I love it. It has a lot more room inside than a Toyota and not that much bigger outside. It is not a serious rock crawler but, neither is the Toyota.

Most of the overlanders I do trips with are not out rock crawling because their intentions are to get out in the wilderness without breaking their rig...

View attachment 354141

Sleeps two comfortably inside on a 5 inch foam mattress and still has room for gear. (something a Toyota has trouble doing...

View attachment 354142
Yoooo. What front bumper is that?? I’ve been trying to find one exactly like that.

Jarhead31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after doing extensive research and realizing that Toyota's are just too overpriced for what they're, I will begin my research and go with a 3rd gen Tahoe Build, it seems the best way to start is to get a an SSV trim and go from there, but I do like all the LTZ options so I'm a little on the fence on what I want to do, at the minimum I believe I will need the following:

-Trim front and maybe back bumpers, this can go from free to purchasing an aftermarket bumper and trimming it
-Lift, I've read on some options so looking to see what is the most affordable but reliable setup
-Skid plates, have to research to see what's out there
-rock sliders
-good tires, looking at bfgoodrich k02 and Falken wildpeak atw3
-I believe Tahoe's come with stock recovery points but if not this would be an option
-Winch could be necessary depending on what I do with this vehicle

I think this summarizes the basics I believe I will need to start some off-road/overlanding, let me know if you want to chime in and help with this build
20210730_175211.jpg

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't built an overland'er but I've built a pile of jeeps on tracks and now a tahoe with tracks link.

My thoughts
- lift as little as you need, target factory geometry, a bad lift on the highway is miserable and worse offroad
- tahoe's are heavy, they are heavier on the trail
- lockers matter, lockers aren't cheap
- interior space is really nice, toy's and jeep's are tight inside

Caution:
If you desire serious offroad capabilities there is a significant difference between a tahoe and a toy/jeep, you can't get around the size/weight issue (similarly equipped rigs).

But, if you can give up some offroad agility you can gain a ton (literally) and interior space. I've traditioned away from the jeeps (wj / xj) to the tahoe's solely to get more interior space (but with tracks I'd already given up agility).

SSVNC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a ‘12 SSV as a daily driver and weekend overlander. Not planning to do any heavy rock crawling with it really just mild trails and family camping. Looking forward to hearing what you finally choose. I had an XJ before and loved it but it seems like everyones got a jeep or Tacoma - new/used ones are way overpriced (or at least for me). I really like my SSV, got it with decent miles for a good price. So far I have no regrets thus far but I’ve seen some pretty cool gx470s too - that would’ve been an alternative route.