I need tips on how do I keep my lifters and rockers healthy in my 2007 Hoe 5.3l Flex Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Pop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its got 175k...so far so good! I heard I could have problems down the road with freezing lifters and rockers etc... Wanna avoid that!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KEEP IT CLEAN

Change the oil regularly with a top-quality full synthetic oil and filter. Don't go by the Oil Life Monitor, go by the oil reaching a predetermined shade of amber, indicating it's dirtiness. For me, that's around 5,000 miles. Use top-tier gasoline (I and my Tahoe are fans of Chevron/Texaco).

If you or the previous owner suspect any gunk is in the engine, good oil will slowly dissolve it. You don't want to use an aggressive motor flushing chemical because it can break up the crud in larger chunks, which can get lodged in some of the smaller oil passages such as those in the push rods and lifters and clog them. If you wanna get an idea of the internals, pop off a valve cover. At 175K, one or both may have a slight leak so it'd be a quick, cheap and easy two-fold project.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As above stated.. I Change my oil every 3 months or 3000 miles in
all my cars (too many).
Good Idea to change oil twice in a row very early so you KNOW exactly
whats in there.. A magnetic tipped oil drain plug is always a great idea and then you can see early if getting metal on it.. Also keeps metal from recirculating in the engine.
Get a tune or a tuner to turn off the DOD/AFM. That will help with
the life of the DOD lifters.
Use a high quality oil filter and oil

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add about rocker arms: They can spit out the needle bearings
when they wear.. But most last a very long time on a stock cam...
IF you ever take them off, you can upgrade to stock style that have
new needle bearing with positive retainer clips or put in new shafts yourself into your rockers (needle or bushing style)

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that # 4 filter ? It's a bugger to get out. But take it out and clean or replace it. And as posted above keep your oil and filters clean. DOD.jpg

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that # 4 filter ? It's a bugger to get out. But take it out and clean or replace it. And as posted above keep your oil and filters clean. View attachment 231595

Thanks for this info. In all honesty, this is the first time I've seen this filter brought up. At least that I can remember.
How often is it supposed to be changed?
What is that filter called, I cant remember for the life of me.

Thanks

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. In all honesty, this is the first time I've seen this filter brought up. At least that I can remember.
How often is it supposed to be changed?
What is that filter called, I cant remember for the life of me.

Thanks

Oil pressure sensor filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts