I need help I think the rim shop is about to screw me over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pervitizm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here is the story and why I need some help. About a year ago I purchased some rims on layaway from a local tire repair/ custom wheel shop. The wheels are 26x9.5 DIP Libra 15 wheels that are suppose to fit my 2007 suburban. It took a little over a year but I had finally paid all the money (-$300)to get the wheels out of layaway and onto the truck. So in mid April I did just that. I went to pay the remainder of what I owed ($600) and to get the wheels install. Well they didn't fit. They bolted on but they rubbed badly. Not light rubbing I mean I couldn't turn the wheel a quarter turn without 90% of the tire dug deep into the inner fender. So this shop thought that I might have spring sag and suggested that I go and get the shocks and springs on the truck redone. I give them $300 and tell them I'll be back the following weekend to get the wheels after I get the shocks looked at. Well that next weekend a Tornado hit St. Louis and literally destroyed the tire shop. I mean this place only has two walls standing and everything else is under concrete and debris. It took me another week just to find the owner to find out whats going on with the wheels and they said that they had them at their house and that everything was fine. I told them that I would give them a couple of weeks cause they were dealing with bigger issues than my wheels at the time and this would also give me some time to find a shop that was going to do the suspension work for me.

So I take my truck to several different suspension shops to see what they could do to help me out. I went to the first shop and he said that there was nothing wrong with the suspension and that it wasn't any spring sagging at all. He told me to get the wheels and bring them in with the truck to put them on and see if where its rubbing at if a lift kit would be in order. However he was like I shouldn't need a lift kit cause the wheels should fit right on the truck with the same size tires if the offset is right. The other shops said the same things, they didn't see any issue with the shocks or springs on the truck, but to make sure bring the wheels in to see where the rubbing is at and if the offset was correct. Hell even one shop told me where to look at on the back of the wheels to see the stamped offset number. I was told that I needed a +30 offset for my year truck. They guy at the suspension shop said that he thinks the other shop ordered a +18 offset which would be enough of a difference to cause the rubbing issues I'm having.

So last Thursday I call the shop that has my wheels and ask them if I can come and pick up two of the wheels to take to the suspension guy to see where the rubbing was at and how much money I would have needed to spend on a lift kit(how high of a lift), they tell me sure come by that Friday and they will have two of the wheels. So Friday I get there, no wheels are there when I arrive. The one owner is like I can give you the two wheels but your going to have to give me the remainder of the money. I'm like why didn't you tell me this over the phone last night when I called you, and do you think I'm going to steal two wheels from you when I've giving you almost $4k of my money already? She goes on to say that if I take the wheels off the property without paying for them and they get damaged then they would be responsible, she said that they weren't going to do that and I'm like ok but I'm not going to give you the money until all of the wheels are here.

I then tell this owner how I've been to a few suspension shops and that they didn't see any issues with my trucks suspension at all. I also told here that they said I should have a +30 offset on the wheels and they think that this shop ordered a +18. The owner starts to go off on me and my brother about how the offset doesn't matter and that its only a difference of an 1.5 inches. She says that they aren't going to eat the cost of these wheels due to an issue with the offset and that the other shops don't know what they're talking about. Then she starts cursing out my brother and then before I know it I have cops rolling up to the shop threatening to lockup my brother for public disturbance. By this time I very angry cause the wheels where never there for me to check the offset and then to have this person start cursing at my brother and then call the police on us :emotions122:

Before I leave the place I tell the owner that I need to see the wheels and the offset before I give her the remainder of the money to make sure that the offset is a +30 and not a +18. She tells me that she will have the wheels at the shop on Tuesday (yesterday)and to come by then. I go to the shop yesterday and now I'm dealing with the first owner (husband) who actually order me the wheels. He tells me how he needed 30 days after ordering the wheels to make changes to them, and that I should have paid off the wheels in 90 days after ordering like "he told me"? I'm like wait a second, you didn't tell me I had 90 days to pay for the wheels, you said that as long as I was paying on them that you would work with me. In fact if you would have told me I had 90 days to pay them off I wouldn't have brought them the first place. Second why didn't you have a test fit of the wheels after they got there just to make sure everything was correct? I'm the customer and I'm entrusting of you to know all of this stuff about offset and wheel fitment. I ask them where are the wheels at he says that they are at his home and that the offset on the wheels where a +18. He then says that he's waiting to hear back from his distributor to see if he will take the wheels back and get the right ones but since its been over a year now he not sure they are going to do that. And he's not taking a loss on this deal. I'm like I'm not taking the wheels if they don't fit.

So now this is where I need help cause I think I'm going to have to sue these people to get my money back. They have my money, the rims that don't fit and I have nothing to show for it. So I'm thinking that I need to go file with the Better Business Beau first then off to the local court house, however I need some evidence on the offset issue. I was trying to find the rim manufacture for DIP wheels and couldn't find anything on Google. Does anyone here know who makes DIP wheels? Also does DIP or for that matter any of the wheel manufactures show the recommending offset for vehicles? I need to have proof where the wheels that I ordered need a +30 offset recommended by the wheel manufacture.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yipes. I can't find the exact info you're looking for right now (although it's all over different forums -- but, like you've said, you'll probably need "official" information), but it sounds as though he ordered rims for a DIFFERENT YEAR Suburban. If I'm not mistaken, the previous generation of GMs have the same exact bolt pattern, but take a different offset. And I think it's an 18mm offset that they take. So, if there's a way that you can determine (from the store's order sheet) what year Sub they were ordered for, assuming that someone ordered them for an '06 or earlier, then that's all you'd need to know, I'd think.

What width tires were on these? That can make a diff in rubbing, too. But, yes, the 18mm offset is no good, and you need to be @ 30mm.

Sorry about your ordeal. Sounds like a real pain. But there's no way you should have to eat anything here. You're relying on the expertise of the shop, as you said, and they should know that that offset is no good on these trucks.

Either the shop screwed up, or the wheel builder screwed up. I guess you can't blame it all on the shop just yes, though it sounds like they know that they didn't specify the correct offset...

OP
OP
P

pervitizm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They came with a 305/30/26 size tire. Man the wheels have never left the shop and these folks want me to eat the deal cause of their mistake. I just want all that information in hand especially when I get the BBB in on this ordeal. That's why its so important that I find out what the manufacture recommends when it comes to offset on this year truck.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Most wheel shops should have some database to suggest offset to buyers when they purchase. The suggested offset for anything on a 07 up GM SUV is +30 or above so they're already wrong there. That means your +18 offset wheels stick out .5" because of their stupidity. Also you could run slim 295/25/26 wheels that will fit even with that offset but those are made by Pirelli only and will run you way more than you already spent ($1500).
So basically just make them give you back your money.
They are trying to pull a fast one because they may be trying to make back money from the shop getting leveled by that tornado.

BTW, I have never of DIP wheels in my life.

OP
OP
P

pervitizm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most wheel shops should have some database to suggest offset to buyers when they purchase. The suggested offset for anything on a 07 up GM SUV is +30 or above so they're already wrong there. That means your +18 offset wheels stick out .5" because of their stupidity. Also you could run slim 295/25/26 wheels that will fit even with that offset but those are made by Pirelli only and will run you way more than you already spent ($1500).
So basically just make them give you back your money.
They are trying to pull a fast one because they may be trying to make back money from the shop getting leveled by that tornado.

BTW, I have never of DIP wheels in my life.

http://www.amazon.com/DIP-Libra-D15-Chrome-Wheel/dp/B004J34JSS

These are the wheels just in a 26's size.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
$4000 for those is pretty outrageous. You're most likely in for a long ride so be patient and make sure you keep record of your interactions with them.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
$4000 for ANY wheels is crazy...unless 100% show car...sorry dude, your next luck would be to get them, then find your truck on blocks one day :(

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree. $4000 for a set of wheels is not too much. It's all relative to what you can afford. Your stock GM 20s are $3500 for wheels and tires at the dealer, but no one is complaining. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM