I have a 2011 Chevy tahoe I have taken to dealership already for the gas tank not filling but shutting off.A new canister was installed did not help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that!! Not sure what fixed mine, but just replaced the fuel pump twice in the past year and a half. The last time, about 3 weeks ago, they replaced everything, fuel pump, module, canister, purge valve, and solenoid valve, and cleared all of the lines. Has only done it once since, but truck was running while gassing up, killed the engine and it didn't do it again. I have gotten the "Tighten gas cap" msg several times tho. And was told that the fuel pump was full of the charcoal pellets this time as well. I was told by one shop that the tank would need replacing to fix this as well, but not sure how true that is.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love it when a newbie comes on, asks for help, and then doesn’t come back. Joined Nov 7th, last seen Nov 7th, one post. Hmmm.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Been there, done that!! Not sure what fixed mine, but just replaced the fuel pump twice in the past year and a half. The last time, about 3 weeks ago, they replaced everything, fuel pump, module, canister, purge valve, and solenoid valve, and cleared all of the lines. Has only done it once since, but truck was running while gassing up, killed the engine and it didn't do it again. I have gotten the "Tighten gas cap" msg several times tho. And was told that the fuel pump was full of the charcoal pellets this time as well. I was told by one shop that the tank would need replacing to fix this as well, but not sure how true that is.
There is no "tighten gas cap message" but there is a suggestion/recommendation of that at times.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gotta love it when a newbie comes on, asks for help, and then doesn’t come back. Joined Nov 7th, last seen Nov 7th, one post. Hmmm.
Yep, looking for the all knowing answer when we are not there and if we do answer correctly, does not come back to say so or at least give an update.

donsaint51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not that I know of.I need to know if I am being lied to.The new canister did not fix problem and all that cost over 400.00 already.The fuel tank will not take fuel keeps shutting down.This is a 2011 Tahoe chevy I took to Jim Brown Chevy
My 2018 Cadillac had this problem. Assumed it was EVAP Canister. Nope. Had to have a new gas tank. $1,600. My 2011 Yukon has not had this problem. YET. Good luck. Irritating that the money spent did not fix the problem.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Cadillac had this problem. Assumed it was EVAP Canister. Nope. Had to have a new gas tank. $1,600. My 2011 Yukon has not had this problem. YET. Good luck. Irritating that the money spent did not fix the problem.
I can’t think of a single reason to replace the fuel tank for this. It’s only a container. The filler neck maybe, the vapor canister, vent valve, purge valve and blowing out all the plastic lines going into the fuel tank sure but not the tank itself. I would like to know the shops reasoning behind replacing the tank- did they explain that to you?

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t think of a single reason to replace the fuel tank for this. It’s only a container. The filler neck maybe, the vapor canister, vent valve, purge valve and blowing out all the plastic lines going into the fuel tank sure but not the tank itself. I would like to know the shops reasoning behind replacing the tank- did they explain that to you?
The shop that told me this said there was a "non-servicable check valve" that would clog and not allow the tank to vent properly.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shop that told me this said there was a "non-servicable check valve" that would clog and not allow the tank to vent properly.
I have never heard of that. The vent valve is replaceable, it’s not in the tank. Strange. I do know there is no such thing on the NBS- I’ve had my tank out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos