I’m back with an Esky this time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, almost there. I have to go to work at 3am and here it is 8:30pm, I think I’m just gonna keep going until 1:30am and then go to work. A couple hours of sleep won’t do it for me.

All I have left is put the crossover pipe up, fill the trans, put in new u-joint on rear shaft and then install it (new joint came today) and put the plugs and wires on. Should be a matter of a few hours and I’ll be flashing the TCM and going through the fast learn process. I’ll take a video of that part. Not much info on YouTube about it.

I went ahead and put heat wrap on the crossover pipe. It’s close as hell to the pan and figured this will help keeping trans temp down. Still plan on finding a bigger cooler and probably put AN hoses and fittings on it if I can’t find the correct adapters.
84b07bc70069ad8eabcf70ab997c7cd7.jpg
4ba9dbed593ce4f44d27b35185052e6b.jpg

Passenger side header going on. It’s bolted up but not tight.
7518cf3bbffb7beef882bffc150b1748.jpg

Couple side notes: the heat wrap, it’s always a good thing to spray the wrap with hi-heat silicone spray. It helps protect the wrap and also keeps it from drying out so much it fades. But, I would have to wait for the wrap to completely dry (goes on wet to help stretch it tight) and then wait for the spray to dry also. No time for that, local parts store didn’t have it and speed shop is closed. So it’s going on without it and I’ll report back how it holds up.
Next thing, torque converter bolts- I’ve always put one bolt in and don’t tighten it, then spin the engine and get the second bolt lined up and go ahead and tighten that one because the third should be lined up. Nope! Had to rotate engine back and loosen second bolt, put the third in and tighten. Then spin engine around to tighten the first and second. That sucked. Made a mental note of that for the next time, hopefully is never.

Back to work, I’ll report back when this ***** is sitting on the ground!! Also got a few more goodies for the sled, I’ll fill ya in later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, almost there. I have to go to work at 3am and here it is 8:30pm, I think I’m just gonna keep going until 1:30am and then go to work. A couple hours of sleep won’t do it for me.

All I have left is put the crossover pipe up, fill the trans, put in new u-joint on rear shaft and then install it (new joint came today) and put the plugs and wires on. Should be a matter of a few hours and I’ll be flashing the TCM and going through the fast learn process. I’ll take a video of that part. Not much info on YouTube about it.

I went ahead and put heat wrap on the crossover pipe. It’s close as hell to the pan and figured this will help keeping trans temp down. Still plan on finding a bigger cooler and probably put AN hoses and fittings on it if I can’t find the correct adapters.

Couple side notes: the heat wrap, it’s always a good thing to spray the wrap with hi-heat silicone spray. It helps protect the wrap and also keeps it from drying out so much it fades. But, I would have to wait for the wrap to completely dry (goes on wet to help stretch it tight) and then wait for the spray to dry also. No time for that, local parts store didn’t have it and speed shop is closed. So it’s going on without it and I’ll report back how it holds up.
Next thing, torque converter bolts- I’ve always put one bolt in and don’t tighten it, then spin the engine and get the second bolt lined up and go ahead and tighten that one because the third should be lined up. Nope! Had to rotate engine back and loosen second bolt, put the third in and tighten. Then spin engine around to tighten the first and second. That sucked. Made a mental note of that for the next time, hopefully is never.

Back to work, I’ll report back when this ***** is sitting on the ground!! Also got a few more goodies for the sled, I’ll fill ya in later.

Great progress! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Roadblock!! First, let me say, when that other u-joint broke, it was going in the front of the rear driveshaft. After it broke and I removed it, I put the last new joint I had in the front of this rear shaft because I wanted the yoke mounted to shaft so when new joint came in, I could just pop it on the rear and install the driveshaft.

Somehow the yoke on the rear of the shaft closed up slightly. Not sure how it closed. Issue I’m having is I can’t get both inner clips installed. I got one but on the other side the groove for the c-clip is barely visible. I thought maybe a needle bearing fell and was in the bottom of the cap. Removed it and it wasn’t.

So I got out my caliper and measured joint to the outside of the clip grooves. This is in its relaxed state so I should be able to close it up slightly.
09f853485fdf72c5aeff7013b4211f13.jpg

The yoke on shaft
6c05d4b91e936dab84fb222dd32e2153.jpg

I need to open it up a little. So I used a 7/16” all thread and some washers and nuts. Putting tension on it and then I’m gonna heat it up a little and then crank some more. I hope to god that this works and doesn’t snap the ear off. That’s gonna suck!! It’s chillin under pressure now.
a197d82aa0ebb3d6109f89b97f56aeb2.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roadblock!! First, let me say, when that other u-joint broke, it was going in the front of the rear driveshaft. After it broke and I removed it, I put the last new joint I had in the front of this rear shaft because I wanted the yoke mounted to shaft so when new joint came in, I could just pop it on the rear and install the driveshaft.

Somehow the yoke on the rear of the shaft closed up slightly. Not sure how it closed. Issue I’m having is I can’t get both inner clips installed. I got one but on the other side the groove for the c-clip is barely visible. I thought maybe a needle bearing fell and was in the bottom of the cap. Removed it and it wasn’t.

So I got out my caliper and measured joint to the outside of the clip grooves. This is in its relaxed state so I should be able to close it up slightly.

The yoke on shaft

I need to open it up a little. So I used a 7/16” all thread and some washers and nuts. Putting tension on it and then I’m gonna heat it up a little and then crank some more. I hope to god that this works and doesn’t snap the ear off. That’s gonna suck!! It’s chillin under pressure now.

Holy crap!! What a PITA

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Amazing amount of progress. Be safe.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The yoke on shaft

Amazing how sometimes things that should be straight forward just go south. I would think your spreading with a little heat is about the best thing to try at this time.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
After putting some heat to it and expanding the nuts a little at a time. 2.549”
40cedae7bbfaca16a7b61d85055823cd.jpg

With clips on and pushed all the way to the inside.
8d4d144cef57b72b3d2cedce896a2e90.jpg

Time to step up my game. It’s either gonna break or it’s gonna work.
c2d7aca517f771a025236dce4d67cd1c.jpg

Putting more heat to it. It’s getting scary!