I’m back with an Esky this time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I got home from work around 1:30 and had a few minutes before my BIL dropped off my daughter. So I sandblasted the flywheel and brackets that hold fuel lines and wiring. Then I started painting when they showed up. 20-30 minute intervals is what I can escape to the garage for. Due to the fact I’m rushing, I didn’t get pics like I should. I know, I know, I’ll get some 2mrw.
I got the rear main seal and cover installed. I hated doing it without the alignment tool but I took my time and checked and double checked to make sure the seal was centered. I don’t want to ever see this flywheel again so I made sure the seal is gonna work.
f6fc4489cf687e3bf204beb26803359d.jpg

But before I put the rear cover on, one of my trips out into garage, I pulled the factory plastic “barbell” (oil pressure diverter/restrictor) that is above the oil filter. It goes into the back of the engine and the front part blocks oil passage that comes off the oil pump and directs the oil down into filter. Then plastic barbell gets brittle and doesn’t have a machined fit which allows oil to bypass filter. So then you have non-filtered oil feeding all your major parts. Not good! So I replaced this plastic unit with a billet one that has much tighter tolerances and only something as small as 10-15 micron would be able to get past it. Filter is good for 25 micron.
ae79dac4e2a7ce3ba8b24345ce4b293f.jpg

Next couple rounds of garage time I was able to blow out the trans lines and run some flush thru them. After 3 cans and continuous blowing, I still have some metal shavings coming out. So I’m gonna work on running a pump in line and circulating it thru a filter to try and get the lines and cooler clean. I may just end up replacing the cooler. I just figured I’d try something first.

I promise, I’ll get some pics up 2mrw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Didn’t get to do anything yesterday. By the time I was able to get out in garage it was after 8pm and I didn’t want to be working on this thing until midnight.
But today I started by trying to clean lines and cooler again. What’s better than pics? A video. Here you go. I’ll report back later with progress.

3554e626448f9a93a04f78789c1d60d3.jpg

Here was filter after first 5 minutes of run time. Changed filter and letting it go for a good 20 minutes.

eb5c8db6456debf6633b293379e6e6b4.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 minutes later, this is what I found in filter.
85560350cc106cec88ba9f8ff5403721.jpg

I’m gonna blow ATF out and then switch hoses to go the other way. I hope this cleans up. I don’t want to change the cooler. But from what I’m seeing here, it’s inevitable.

Damn that sucks man. Yeah, if you can switch directions of flow a couple times that might help. I’d try to keep going until you get nothing out at all. But may be inevitable like you said.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
20 minutes later, this is what I found in filter.
85560350cc106cec88ba9f8ff5403721.jpg

I’m gonna blow ATF out and then switch hoses to go the other way. I hope this cleans up. I don’t want to change the cooler. But from what I’m seeing here, it’s inevitable.

Probably gonna have to change the cooler out. Unfortunately I don't think everything is gonna come out in the flush.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loving the pump setup! What kind of psi does the trans fluid normally run at? I'm sure it's more than what your pump can do. Could you fill the cooler with fluid and back-blow it with the compressor at a PSI a little greater than what the trans pumps at? Surely whatever may have gotten lodged in there from the normal trans fluid pressure would be dislodged if hit with higher pressure from the opposite direction.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Loving the pump setup! What kind of psi does the trans fluid normally run at? I'm sure it's more than what your pump can do. Could you fill the cooler with fluid and back-blow it with the compressor at a PSI a little greater than what the trans pumps at? Surely whatever may have gotten lodged in there from the normal trans fluid pressure would be dislodged if hit with higher pressure from the opposite direction.

Line pressure is usually 45-80PSI at idle. Can reach 300PSI at WOT. My compressor is good for 185PSI. I was thinking about adding compressed air on the discharge side of pump to help agitate the fluid but I didn’t want to make a mess increasing the pressure on the return side into the bucket.

I ordered a cooler tonight. Sum ***** is $175!! But it’s insurance. I don’t wanna be doing this again any time soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n