I’m back with an Esky this time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I really dig these stories. It's not very often we get such an in-depth view of the inner workings of any industrial facility. Fascinating.

I figure most people that look at my little stories would be like, wtf does this have to do with his wife’s Esky? But I share them anyway. I enjoy seeing stuff that people have to deal with on a daily basis. It’s interesting to me, but I’m a workaholic and my mind is geared toward problem solving. It’s a gift as well as a curse.

Took the divers forever to get set up and I had to deal with other stuff so I didn’t hang out to get any other pics.
c4200e229f6c996b33f0df497aa3f544.jpg

I had to go build a railing because the ORC (Olin responsible care) chick said someone could possibly fall next to these barge offloading lines. It became a high safety priority. She always finds something when she comes out. Although her plant in Macintosh has over 54 incidents this year and we are 846 days without a recordable injury. I told her I’d love to go to Macintosh with a clip board some time.

So here’s what I threw together. OSHA standard 42” tall with a mid rail and toe plate. She can’t say shit about it now.
7e8086485fecf69ddbe99419fba4bea8.jpg

And of course had to fill in the on the ground with some 4” C-channel. One was cut narrower- 2-3/4” If I remember correctly and welded together.
f49253a846caf761bddf8fb5b3078579.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I enjoy seeing stuff that people have to deal with on a daily basis. ...my mind is geared toward problem solving. It’s a gift as well as a curse.

Word!

It takes me back to my plant days. I never worked for a plant, but was in them a lot for overhead door or automated gate work. With the overhead door gig, we were slow to earn the trust of the safety narcs. But, they were just doing their jobs as we were doing ours and we all got along alright. I even talked my way out of our company getting blacklisted from a site after I intentionally smashed a truck through a 26'x14' sectional door.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I figure most people that look at my little stories would be like, wtf does this have to do with his wife’s Esky? But I share them anyway. I enjoy seeing stuff that people have to deal with on a daily basis. It’s interesting to me, but I’m a workaholic and my mind is geared toward problem solving. It’s a gift as well as a curse.

Took the divers forever to get set up and I had to deal with other stuff so I didn’t hang out to get any other pics.
c4200e229f6c996b33f0df497aa3f544.jpg

I had to go build a railing because the ORC (Olin responsible care) chick said someone could possibly fall next to these barge offloading lines. It became a high safety priority. She always finds something when she comes out. Although her plant in Macintosh has over 54 incidents this year and we are 846 days without a recordable injury. I told her I’d love to go to Macintosh with a clip board some time.

So here’s what I threw together. OSHA standard 42” tall with a mid rail and toe plate. She can’t say shit about it now.
7e8086485fecf69ddbe99419fba4bea8.jpg

And of course had to fill in the on the ground with some 4” C-channel. One was cut narrower- 2-3/4” If I remember correctly and welded together.
f49253a846caf761bddf8fb5b3078579.jpg

I think the majority of members here enjoy your stories/adventures. Keep posting them. They're entertaining :D

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone knows it, but I’m sure she’s photobombed a couple of my pics, I have a Mini-English Bulldog/Boxer mix named Lola. I’ve been doing everything I can to help her with allergies. From finding the right diet, supplements, grooming and vet visits.
5665a2f227d7fc1a0004f5b333af5c48.jpg

She used to always naw and lick her feet until I got turned on to a medication from some lady at our previous vet. I’ll have to look at her bottle, I can’t remember the name off hand, but I do know it’s $96 every 30 days and I buy it online thru Allivet.
**Edit: the medication is called Apoquel. And it works!
f75b78580894476f1c70c6a04383dc91.jpg

ffbfcd147cd03b173b417dd00b283dc6.jpg

She gets ear infections and I deep clean her ears at least twice a week. Beginning of June vet gave me some drops to clear up the infection and I was using them on her every night. She got worse and I ended up taking her to animal hospital at 4am and they injected some shit in her ears that seemed to help but didn’t last. Back to vet for more ear injections.
Fast forward a little and I’m laid up with my back when not at work, kinda slipped on the cleanings and she starts acting like her right ear is really bothering her. Screw that stupid vet, time to find someone else that will figure this out for us.
Different vet, “yeah has ear infection, gonna swab it and put some medicine in her ears but I won’t send swab out for analysis until we check on her progress in a week”. Last Thursday, not just this past but the one before, we go back and it’s no better, maybe a touch worse. “Time to send out swabs for lab work”.
“Yeah, ya think?”
“We’re gonna swab it again to get a fresh sample and by Tuesday we’ll let ya know.”
“You charged me $45 to swab them last time, $15 to clean them prior to swab but you only used 2 cotton balls and maybe 4 wipes. So now your gonna charge me all that again just so you can “get a fresh sample” plus $165 for labs”?
“I won’t charge you for cleaning this time”
So we go ahead and get swab done and sent off. But I found out earlier today the lab gets the sample and lets it sit for 3 days before doing the testing. I guess you do that when testing any bacteria. So why the need for the “fresh swab”?
Anyway, I called them Wednesday for results. Told me to come in Saturday for some strong injections and medication. $36/ ear for injections, $79 for 2 weeks worth of medication and come back in 2 weeks for round 2 of injections and refill on medication.
d6994799f54e5e5ba57c3ece97395594.jpg

**Edit: Chloramphenicol is the antibiotic
be6d3582ae50b4f6428d4e8d1e98b987.jpg

So yeah, dog has methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria that is resistant to several antibiotics. The medication we have is a very strong antibiotic that I have to handle with latex gloves. For those of you that aren’t familiar with this bacteria, it’s better known as MRSA (mersa). And we all know that is some pretty bad shit. It’s the worst type of staph infection you can get. Makes me nervous having kids around dog so I’m telling them to stay away from her until she’s better. I hope all the medications and money is gonna fix my puppy. Wish us luck.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone knows it, but I’m sure she’s photobombed a couple of my pics, I have a Mini-English Bulldog/Boxer mix named Lola. I’ve been doing everything I can to help her with allergies. From finding the right diet, supplements, grooming and vet visits.
5665a2f227d7fc1a0004f5b333af5c48.jpg

She used to always naw and lick her feet until I got turned on to a medication from some lady at our previous vet. I’ll have to look at her bottle, I can’t remember the name off hand, but I do know it’s $96 every 30 days and I buy it online thru Allivet.
ffbfcd147cd03b173b417dd00b283dc6.jpg

She gets ear infections and I deep clean her ears at least twice a week. Beginning of June vet gave me some drops to clear up the infection and I was using them on her every night. She got worse and I ended up taking her to animal hospital at 4am and they injected some shit in her ears that seemed to help but didn’t last. Back to vet for more ear injections.
Fast forward a little and I’m laid up with my back when not at work, kinda slipped on the cleanings and she starts acting like her right ear is really bothering her. Screw that stupid vet, time to find someone else that will figure this out for us.
Different vet, “yeah has ear infection, gonna swab it and put some medicine in her ears but I won’t send swab out for analysis until we check on her progress in a week”. Last Thursday, not just this past but the one before, we go back and it’s no better, maybe a touch worse. “Time to send out swabs for lab work”.
“Yeah, ya think?”
“We’re gonna swab it again to get a fresh sample and by Tuesday we’ll let ya know.”
“You charged me $45 to swab them last time, $15 to clean them prior to swab but you only used 2 cotton balls and maybe 4 wipes. So now your gonna charge me all that again just so you can “get a fresh sample” plus $165 for labs”?
“I won’t charge you for cleaning this time”
So we go ahead and get swab done and sent off. But I found out earlier today the lab gets the sample and lets it sit for 3 days before doing the testing. I guess you do that when testing any bacteria. So why the need for the “fresh swab”?
Anyway, I called them Wednesday for results. Told me to come in Saturday for some strong injections and medication. $36/ ear for injections, $79 for 2 weeks worth of medication and come back in 2 weeks for round 2 of injections and refill on medication.
d6994799f54e5e5ba57c3ece97395594.jpg

So yeah, dog has methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria that is resistant to several antibiotics. The medication we have is a very strong antibiotic that I have to handle with latex gloves. For those of you that aren’t familiar with this bacteria, it’s better known as MRSA (mersa). And we all know that is some pretty bad shit. It’s the worst type of staph infection you can get. Makes me nervous having kids around dog so I’m telling them to stay away from her until she’s better. I hope all the medications and money is gonna fix my puppy. Wish us luck.

Good luck with poor Lola. I just don't understand doctors or vets sometimes. You try to tell them something, and they just won't listen to you at first. Then a week or 2 later they do what you recommend. Well--if they would've did what you said the 1st time around the problem wouldn't have progressed as much as it has! Frustrating to say the least. I hope you get it all worked out with Lola and the vet Jim.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Good luck with poor Lola. I just don't understand doctors or vets sometimes. You try to tell them something, and they just won't listen to you at first. Then a week or 2 later they do what you recommend. Well--if they would've did what you said the 1st time around the problem wouldn't have progressed as much as it has! Frustrating to say the least. I hope you get it all worked out with Lola and the vet Jim.

Thanks brother. It’s been frustrating and I hate seeing her in pain. I tell people all the time, I love my dog more than I like most people.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A huge part of our human healthcare problem is basing medical courses of action with the focus on "healthy people don't make doctors money". This fact is exploited even more heavily in veterinary medicine. Good on you for being cognitive and questioning "the authorities". Their lab coat and/or scrubs does NOT inherently mean you and/or your ideas and concerns are less valid than theirs.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
A huge part of our human healthcare problem is basing medical courses of action with the focus on "healthy people don't make doctors money". This fact is exploited even more heavily in veterinary medicine. Good on you for being cognitive and questioning "the authorities". Their lab coat and/or scrubs does NOT inherently mean you and/or your ideas and concerns are less valid than theirs.

I have a friend that tells the vet every time, "If it's more than $300, just put him down." His bill is never more than $300 because she thinks he'll do it (he might). Lol.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I have a friend that tells the vet every time, "If it's more than $300, just put him down." His bill is never more than $300 because she thinks he'll do it (he might). Lol.

I couldn’t even say it. I understand why he does though, keeps them from running up the charges. When my poo/shit (poodle/shitzu) Peanut was still with us he had kidney stones at 7 years old and the vet told me she had to give me my options. I told her the only option is fixing my dog. $1100 dollars later he was good to go and they talked to me about his diet to prevent it from happening again. I said he’s 7, I’m not changing his food now. Almost 5 years later, same thing but not as bad. She said I have to consider my options. I said yeah my options are finding a vet that will fix him. If he’s healthy enough to do the surgery, that’s the only option. He was, and they did. $900 later, talked to me about his diet. Really? He’s 12, didn’t change it before, not changing it now. Peanut was a loyal little dog that had a personality of an old man. I had my vet come to the house when it was time to say my final farewell. He was 16 years old.
37908de95f51f87173b853d4a31a134a.jpg

7705523bcda549d6fb92bc2b0b9acce1.jpg

So you can see that I could never say if the bill is over X, I’ll put the dog down. I’ll spend whatever it takes as long as I know it’s not for my own selfish reasons.
7e82775c8d332dd2ca5c86ee7ac51a93.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne