HVAC fan speed question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does this seem to be? I lost fan speed #3, I have all others. Resistor, relay or switch? The fan and resistor is two or so years old, but as we all know things fail. before I start ripping things apart I like to have a plan or a possible part to chase.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
speed #3 is either a failure of the least resistance coil on resistor block or failure of fan switch. if you have system volts on light blue wire on back of fan switch it is the resistor block. if not then it is the fan switch.

for reference:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012P2KB4/

if harness is burned up near connector.
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PT1346-Female-8-Way-Connector/dp/B000C9TZBY/

delco catalog claims this is actually for the primary fan if a dual system or fan if not
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-8788-Auxiliary-Blower-Resistor/dp/B000C9DIXK

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as usual thank you. Keys are in the truck, let me know what you find out.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you stuck in reverse this morning?

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

i aint driving to you. to far.

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread, but I've been having a weird issue with my fan as well. I'll be driving down the road and the fan will just quit for a few moments. The compressor stays on, but the fan shuts off, and no matter what position I put the fan switch or blend door switch in, the fan stays off. It usually just stays off for a second or two, but last week it actually shut off three times in a row for about 20 seconds each time. No amount of fiddling with the dash or switches would make it come back on.

I'm assuming a bad/loose connection somewhere that is possibly heating up during use and causing poor connections. Any ideas on where to chase it down?

Thanks,

Casey

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most likely all your attempts amount to fan motor or connection if your compressor runs during the whole process.

Yes, compressor stays running during this event, and the a/c and recirc lights stay lit on the controls as well. Incident happened again this afteroon, fan just shut down for a few seconds, and then popped right back on.

Casey

Fishintahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does this seem to be? I lost fan speed #3, I have all others. Resistor, relay or switch? The fan and resistor is two or so years old, but as we all know things fail. before I start ripping things apart I like to have a plan or a possible part to chase.

My Hoe did this same exact thing for like 3 days last week. It fixed itself and has been working fine since thursday. O well.

Just wait it out Bowtie and see if it fixes itself.