Hurricane hits you have 6.2 engine and requires premium gas you use regular does you engine break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live in Florida it happen a lot last hurricane a year ago or more. I was out looking for gas to keep gernerators running at 3 am weekly gas would run out by 6 am . Now if a have a 6.2 engine it require premium or you get a kick and ping. I read people say it can damage the engine that knock and ping. Explain what happen to engine how long can you regular only gas option was regular gas . What happen if you use regular will void warrenty.

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
Short answer: you'll be fine.
Long answer: lower-octane fuels are really only a problem when you have forced induction (i.e. a turbo or something). If you run low octane with FI then you can have detonation, which can be pretty damaging. I have a 6.2 and ran regular in it for the first few months of ownership and was fine. It's not a big deal for these engines.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live in Florida it happen a lot last hurricane a year ago or more. I was out looking for gas to keep gernerators running at 3 am weekly gas would run out by 6 am . Now if a have a 6.2 engine it require premium or you get a kick and ping. I read people say it can damage the engine that knock and ping. Explain what happen to engine how long can you regular only gas option was regular gas . What happen if you use regular will void warrenty.

Keep your tank topped off and don't drive if you don't have to. Alternatively, you could probably get away with E30 Ethanol even though it is not rated for it. While everyone is in line for gasoline during last storm, I pulled right up to the yellow handled pumps, took on E85 and left lickety split!

You can also stock up on REAL gas cans, Jerry cans by Wavian. These will not leak or smell inside your truck and with the original spout, not spill when pouring.

https://wavianusa.com/products/steel-fuel-jerry-can

Red_20Liter_Can_1800x1800.jpg

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer: you'll be fine.
Long answer: lower-octane fuels are really only a problem when you have forced induction (i.e. a turbo or something). If you run low octane with FI then you can have detonation, which can be pretty damaging. I have a 6.2 and ran regular in it for the first few months of ownership and was fine. It's not a big deal for these engines.

I went by the book it mention premium and only tier 1 gas stations

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your tank topped off and don't drive if you don't have to. Alternatively, you could probably get away with E30 Ethanol even though it is not rated for it. While everyone is in line for gasoline during last storm, I pulled right up to the yellow handled pumps, took on E85 and left lickety split!

You can also stock up on REAL gas cans, Jerry cans by Wavian. These will not leak or smell inside your truck and with the original spout, not spill when pouring.

https://wavianusa.com/products/steel-fuel-jerry-can

Red_20Liter_Can_1800x1800.jpg
Thanks on the jerry can link they seem very good rated.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. It will pull some power but nothing will be damaged

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All gasoline-powered vehicles sold in the United States must be capable of operating on 89 octane unleaded fuel in order for the engines to be EPA certified. As far as I know, you could run a premium-fuel recommended engine on 89 octane fuel indefinitely without damaging it. You could experience some detonation (knocking) but most modern cars have anti-detonation sensors that would mitigate. You may sacrifice some MPG and/or performance.

Note that the label on your car probably says "Premium Fuel Recommended" versus "Premium Fuel Required."

Here's an article:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buying-car-do-you-need-use-premium-gas-228198

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second what WillCO said. Modern computer-controlled engines monitor for pre-detonation and alter the timing accordingly. You may suffer some performance loss, but nothing will be damaged. Pre-computer controlled engines are another matter, driving them hard and causing them to knock will damage the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645