2021 2022 Yukon,Tahoe 6.2 Engine - Premium Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRH2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you or the delivery Dealer fills 6.2L Yukon tank with Regular Fuel instead of Premium, do you need to, or can you do a Fuel Computer reset? I had a 2011 Camaro SS w/6.2 Corvette engine and Forum had advised to remove Fuel Computer Fuse for short period of time to reset computer. This was after 2-3 tanks of Premium to purge tank. On the Camaro, Premium fuel achieved better gas mileage than Regular and at end of day, outweighed difference in fuel cost. Also getting full capability of engine, when you wanted to. If you did not do this reset, computer would stay set to Regular fuel, no matter how much Premium you put in it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Just run the tank to 1/2 full and fill back with premium. A tank of regular won't do anything negative, as long as you replace it with premium on the next fill-up.

Yukondenaliva

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Just run the tank to 1/2 full and fill back with premium. A tank of regular won't do anything negative, as long as you replace it with premium on the next fill-up.
So, it’s ok to use regular gas some? Will it void the warranty?

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally don’t feel running non premium fuel will damage your engine but you will not get the full potential out of that engine either. With premium you should see better power, smoother running and probably better fuel economy. I’ve owned vehicles that require premium fuel most of my adult life and don’t run anything else in them. I don’t think the vehicle manufacturer would tell you it needs premium fuel if it really doesn’t

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet spot could be midgrade. Does anyone use it in the 6.2?

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems strange to me to spend $70k on a vehicle and then cheap out on fuel to save a few bucks... no?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This fuel octane question has been well covered in other threads:

Net, engine has knock sensors and will retard timing to attempt to mitigate knock…but it can’t do this in all situations. In cases of heavy load and heavy throttle (think loaded vehicle, up a grade, towing) it could definitely damage your engine…Videos of the science and some engine tear down in those threads.

Net, 6.2 has 11.5:1 compression ratio, 87 octane likely to pre-detonate (knock) in this engine…save yourself the hassle and run the recommended fuel.