Hurricane hits you have 6.2 engine and requires premium gas you use regular does you engine break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobsr

Reaction score
i live in Florida it happen a lot last hurricane a year ago or more. I was out looking for gas to keep gernerators running at 3 am weekly gas would run out by 6 am . Now if a have a 6.2 engine it require premium or you get a kick and ping. I read people say it can damage the engine that knock and ping. Explain what happen to engine how long can you regular only gas option was regular gas . What happen if you use regular will void warrenty.

I did some work on this a few weeks ago when I got a used 2012 Yukon Daneli with the 6.2 engine and spent a lot of time reading the book and trying to get familiar with all the electronics. Below is the email I previously posted, which includes a link explaining about "top tier" gasoline, along with a list of all of them. I am still using the BP Premuim 93 octane which they say is the old Amoco "white gas" that I remember my grandfather using for everything including his lawn mowers and Cadillac back in the 1950's.

I did some work on these "top tier" gasolines, as that is what GM recommends in their owner's manual. Hard not to have to read it when you have a Denali with all the "stuff" that comes with it and you have no clue how to use it all and make it all work for you. WHen you can't get high test, probably NAPA and others have an additive that may help until deliveries start again.

Locally I used "gas buddy" to find the least expensive Premium Gas in the area, and I found a newly opened BP station that has the Amoco 93 as their premium gas. Price was the lowest in the area at $2.49 per gallon. (opening special). But it can easily go over $3.00 per gallon for the "top tier" gas, so I guess I have to check and see who is at the lower end for a fill up.

GM makes a big deal about using this "top tier" premium gas, which in the old days we might have laughed at. But with this 6.2 it's probably best to "follow orders" from the manufacturer, when you hear of all the problems some members have been having. Same with the synthetic oil now, also not an option to not use it. Although I used Mobil 1 since new it on my 5.3 2003 Yukon and got 325,214 miles out of it!

Let's hope the carbon and the "new 8-6-4-" technology does not come back to cost us big time. I don't think there is any E 85 available in very many places in New Hampshire, and some of the lists on the internet are old and the places are gone. But I had the "flex fuel" option in my 2003 Yukon and maybe got one or two tanks full when in Pennsylvania or other states where it is more common.

Both AAA and Consumer reports did some research and checked out the "top tier gas" with the additives, and reported "top tier" gasoline had 19 times FEWER carbon deposits on injectors, intake valves, and in the combustion chamber when compared to regular gasoline, without the "top line" additives.

They also found a "clensing effect", reducing intake valve deposits by 45-72% when used over a 5,000 mile test. The variations appeared to be attributed to the specific detergents used by the various brands. With this 6.2 it is now absolutely essential to use this top tier gas, in my view.

Here is the link below, which includes all the brand names of the guys who can be called "top tier" because they use the recommended detergents that GM and others recommend in their gasolines. I don't think it's "fake news," but these days you never know... :) Check it out!

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

Edit Report
+ Quote Reply
kbuskill and Hi-psi like this.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the highest octane rating you can find. Unless you're operating at WOT, you may not notice any difference at all. Maybe slightly less fuel mileage but on these types of vehicles, you're not going to drop from 35 to 29 mpg. Get ethanol free if you can. Otherwise just run it and get to safety. The computer will keep it from pinging. Just don't run it extra hard and it won't hurt a thing over the short term you can't get premium.

I got my Escalade in trade for a BMW 528I I used to own. BMW requires 93 octane but I ran 89 and never noticed any problems. I can assure you, your engine isn't as dainty as that high strung 6 banger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu