Hummer H2 vs Tahoe knowledge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up guys? So I have some questions that I need answered by someone with first-hand knowledge not he say she say or my friend did this or I heard if you can do this lol I need to know what chassis the H2 Hummer is built on? Is it a Tahoe or a suburban? reason being is I’m swapping the lift kit on the front of my 02 Tahoe right now and the next step is changing the brackets out for the front differential. Now I have a friend that lives not too far from me that has a hummer H2 in his backyard for parts. It’s already got the motor removed in it so I can get to the front differential no problem and pull it right out, I want to do that if it’s possible and put it in my Tahoe so I have a heavier duty front axle because I’m putting the hummer H2 rear axle in as well. I looked for hours and hours and can’t find any definite answers of proof somebody has done it which I don’t believe but hell these days. Google doesn’t tell you anything you look for anyways type in H2 front differential conversion to Tahoe. He wants to show your pink polkadotted underwear total worthless so I’m turning to you the Tahoe family to lend me some knowledge. From what I seen online earlier people were saying that it’s wider because it’s like the 2500 HD but that’s just said it was just hearsay now I remember reading somewhere that the hummer sits on one of the frames either of the Tahoe or the suburban if that’s the case, it’s not gonna be any wider, it’s going to be the same so if I had to make a guess I would say that SOB would slap right up in there. Just curious if anybody has done this before or no if it’s been done I couldn’t find any threads on it, so get at me with what you all know and help me figure this step out to make this truck even better than before. Thank you.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H2 frame is a conglomeration bastard of different GM trucks/suvs. While the wiki says a cross between 2500 and 1500 trucks, it is more 2500 truck front to Modified 1500 Suburban backhalf, from what I remember of the underside.
When I worked at a Chevy/Hummer dealer in the early 2000s, the H2s were constantly coming in for problems.
Brokens front diffs, blown up rear ends( 9.5 inch semi float 14 bolt) , shattered cvs. And that's was all just from guys going on weekend "Hummer club" trips. ...yes there was a local Hummer "club". God those guys were annoying.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1.

Unless the strikers have another job/source of income during the time that they are not working, chances are their overall income for the year will be lower regardless of whether they get an increase in their hourly rate.

The H2 frame is a conglomeration bastard of different GM trucks/suvs. While the wiki says a cross between 2500 and 1500 trucks, it is more 2500 truck front to Modified 1500 Suburban backhalf, from what I remember of the underside.
When I worked at a Chevy/Hummer dealer in the early 2000s, the H2s were constantly coming in for problems.
Brokens front diffs, blown up rear ends( 9.5 inch semi float 14 bolt) , shattered cvs. And that's was all just from guys going on weekend "Hummer club" trips. ...yes there was a local Hummer "club". God those guys were annoying.
That's disappointing to hear! I always thought they were unique - I just had hoped their durability withstood the test. Why were items failing for an 8 lug setup? I'd imagine that would be adequate if it's adequate for a Suburban.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's disappointing to hear! I always thought they were unique - I just had hoped their durability withstood the test. Why were items failing for an 8 lug setup? I'd imagine that would be adequate if it's adequate for a Suburban.
Just because it was an 8 lug doesn't mean much. They were the 9.5 semifloat axle. C clip just like the 8.5/8.6 in our rigs, but not nearly as beefy as the full float 10.5 aam 14 bolt axle in the 2500 suburban and trucks. You need to realize the gvw for the H2 was over like 8600 or 8800 to skirt the epa mileage requirements. Why they didn't use the real 14 bolt I'll never understand. While the 9.5 would last in lighter vehicles, ( I believe the 07 and later tahoes have them)... they were sadly weak for the H2. It was a HEAVY sob.
And don't get me started on the glorified Colorado based H3.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H3s with 5.3 are where it's at can't find any clean ones tho relatively are cheap rigs too, if you can find them

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts