HP Tuner for 2016 Tahoe L83/6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Did you try these guys for bcm tuning?
They do require you have an Autosync.

Thank you. I will contact them next week!

TireFire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great thread! Following along as my ‘17 Tahoe is currently in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt (127k miles). I too plan on using HPT after to tune the TCC.

Question for you: did you already do it? I tow quite heavily with mine as well (also have max tow package), but I am quite set on disabling lockup in gears 1-3 or 4. That is how older and even earlier versions of these transmissions used to operate, and they lasted much longer. With the thermostat bypassed, I’m not very worried about ATF temperatures, and I would think that the constant locking/unlocking in low gears/speeds also creates a bunch of heat in addition to the well documented wear issues.

Second, (and this may be irrelevant to the OP in Texas where they probably don’t check emissions) if you alter your OEM tune calibration you will 100% now fail smog in California and Colorado (& more & more places that adopt CA standards). Has anyone successfully flashed their stock file back temporarily just to pass smog?

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Great thread! Following along as my ‘17 Tahoe is currently in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt (127k miles). I too plan on using HPT after to tune the TCC.

Question for you: did you already do it? I tow quite heavily with mine as well (also have max tow package), but I am quite set on disabling lockup in gears 1-3 or 4. That is how older and even earlier versions of these transmissions used to operate, and they lasted much longer. With the thermostat bypassed, I’m not very worried about ATF temperatures, and I would think that the constant locking/unlocking in low gears/speeds also creates a bunch of heat in addition to the well documented wear issues.

Second, (and this may be irrelevant to the OP in Texas where they probably don’t check emissions) if you alter your OEM tune calibration you will 100% now fail smog in California and Colorado (& more & more places that adopt CA standards). Has anyone successfully flashed their stock file back temporarily just to pass smog?

I’m sure your question is directed at more than just me, but I also have the max tow package, lower temp trans thermostat, and have an engine and trans tune, done by a local performance shop, that prevents converter lock up in gears 1-3 in non-tow mode.

I requested them to tune out the lock up in gears 1-4, but the tuner advised against it. Turns out his experience proved best when I noticed that 4th gear is what the trans uses most often for gear choice around town. Non lock up in 4th would have generated more heat.

Although they also tuned the Tow Mode settings, I forgot to ask what they did for lock out settings in trailering mode.

We don’t have smog testing in our state so we don’t need to switch back and forth on the tunes.

TireFire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m sure your question is directed at more than just me, but I also have the max tow package, lower temp trans thermostat, and have an engine and trans tune, done by a local performance shop, that prevents converter lock up in gears 1-3 in non-tow mode.

I requested them to tune out the lock up in gears 1-4, but the tuner advised against it. Turns out his experience proved best when I noticed that 4th gear is what the trans uses most often for gear choice around town. Non lock up in 4th would have generated more heat.

Although they also tuned the Tow Mode settings, I forgot to ask what they did for lock out settings in trailering mode.

We don’t have smog testing in our state so we don’t need to switch back and forth on the tunes.
Thanks for replying! I didn’t even know that you could tune tow mode differently than non towing. I need to find a good tuner, doesn’t need to be local since I have HPT and can pull logs & load files.

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
What is the rationale for disabling TCC lockup in any gear? Knowing how my Allison and its' triple disc converter behave I would think you would be specifying faster and firmer lockup instead of disabling it altogether and this worked the same way when tuning 4L60s. You put a higher thermal load on the converter without it being able to lock up AFAIK.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
What is the rationale for disabling TCC lockup in any gear? Knowing how my Allison and its' triple disc converter behave I would think you would be specifying faster and firmer lockup instead of disabling it altogether and this worked the same way when tuning 4L60s. You put a higher thermal load on the converter without it being able to lock up AFAIK.

Because GM programmed the converter clutch to stutter-engage to lessen the feel in the cab during engagement and when switching between V4 and V8. That’s a whole-lotta pulling on the clutch cover friction material, and then it starts to shred. Off the line accelerating of a heavy vehicle places more strain on the clutch multi-engagements than engagements once the vehicle is accelerating less fast as you approach the speed limit.

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Because GM programmed the converter clutch to stutter-engage to lessen the feel in the cab during engagement and when switching between V4 and V8. That’s a whole-lotta pulling on the clutch cover friction material, and then it starts to shred. Off the line accelerating of a heavy vehicle places more strain on the clutch multi-engagements than engagements once the vehicle is accelerating less fast as you approach the speed limit.
This still sounds like an issue of not engaging aggressively enough, faster/more line pressure, as opposed to changing the behavior of a torque converter to not lock up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv