HP Tuner for 2016 Tahoe L83/6L80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry @RoadTrip, don't know about the BCM. But, I may have an answer in a couple of weeks. Edit: I sent you a PM.

I bought an HP Tuners (HPT) package with two credits from Summit Racing.

Edit: Two credits will allow me to update both my 2016 Tahoe LT's Engine Control Module (ECM) and 6L80 Transmission Control Module (TCM).

1. First I will disable the AFM to hopefully avoid one of the AFM lifters failing and taking out the camshaft, killing the engine. That will also allow me to resume using sixth gear for highway cruising. HPT has a YouTube video on modifying the ECM to disable the AFM. It should be simple.

Edit: If I keep the Tahoe past this summer, I may do an AFM "delete kit" to replace the inactive AFM hardware with standard lifters, camshaft, etc.

2. HPT has a YouTube video on modifying the TCM settings/parameters/calibration file to modify the 6L80 behavior.

I'll set the TCC target slip to 0 RPM in all the gears.

Apparently the TCM allows some slippage some or most of the time to make the engine/transmission package "smoother" and to mask the AFM switching back and forth from V8 operation to V4 operation. The TCC slippage creates heat and wears the TCC friction surfaces. When the TCC becomes metal on metal, goodbye transmission. Apparently I was fortunate my transmission lasted 121K miles.

Many people advocate disabling TCC lockup in gears 1-4. I don't plan to do that. With the TCC unlocked, the churning of the fluid in the torque converter creates heat. I'm in South Texas with summer six months of the year. My reman transmission does have the transmission service bulletin 70C/158F Thermal Bypass Valve (TBV) thermostat. My transmission temps are now running 145-160F.

3. Next, I'll raise the shift speeds and TCC lockup speeds to avoid the transmission having the engine running at 1,200 to 1,500 RPM with the TCC locked up in 6th gear instead of higher RPM in 5th gear. I know that low RPM and high manifold pressure may be a little more miles per gallon. But, I am interested in miles per engine and not having the engine give me problems away from home on a trip.

Same applies to the lower gears' upshifts and TCC lockup speeds. I'll also be adjusting the TCC unlock and downshift speeds. I did this on my 1995 Chevy Caprice. My target is the engine operating between 1500 and 2000 RPM around town and up to 2500 RPM when I am pressing harder on the loud pedal. If I want to go above 2500 RPM, I can use the +/- transmission switch on the shift lever.

I know that I can shorten the shift times and increase line pressures. I may experiment carefully with those. I'm looking for longevity, not quick (hard or harsh) shifts.

I will report my progress in this thread. I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe @NickTransmissions will let me know if I'm going astray.

Last edited:

kaiserwillie

Reaction score
Have you looked into Diablosports I3 tuner? I got one for my 2016 Yukon to disable AFM/DOD thru a tune and it works like a charm. It also can make changes to the TCM which I will be looking into to try and preserve the tranny.

buckwild27

Reaction score
Sorry @RoadTrip, don't know about the BCM. But, I may have an answer in a couple of weeks.

I was unable to get a clear answer from HP Tuners on whether buying two "credits" will give me the capability to change both the Engine Control Module (ECM) and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) or just the ECM. I am getting an HP Tuners package with two credits via UPS from Summit Racing later today.

1. First I will disable the AFM to hopefully avoid one of the AFM lifters failing and taking out the camshaft, killing the engine. That will also allow me to resume using sixth gear for highway cruising. HP Tuners has a YouTube video on modifying the ECM to disable the AFM. It should be simple.

If I keep the Tahoe past this summer, I may do an AFM delete kit to remove the inactive AFM hardware.

If two credits will not allow me to update the 6L80 TCM behavior, I'll order two more credits from Summit Racing. HP Tuners has a YouTube video on modifying the TCM settings/parameters/calibration file to modify the 6L80 behavior.

2. I'll set the TCC target slip to 0 RPM in all the gears. Apparently the TCM allows some slippage some or most of the time to make the engine/transmission package "smoother" and to mask the AFM switching back and forth from V8 operation to V4 operation. The TCC slippage creates heat and wears the TCC friction surfaces. When the TCC becomes metal on metal, goodbye transmission. Apparently I was fortunate my transmission lasted 121K miles.

Many people advocate disabling TCC lockup in gears 1-4. I don't plan to do that. With the TCC unlocked, the churning of the fluid in the torque converter creates heat. I'm in South Texas with summer six months of the year. I do have the transmission service bulletin 70C/158F Thermal Bypass Valve (TBV) thermostat. My transmission temps are now running 145-160F.

3. Next, I'll raise the shift speeds and TCC lockup speeds to avoid the transmission having the engine running at 1,200 to 1,500 RPM with the TCC locked up in 6th gear instead of higher RPM in 5th gear. I know that low RPM and high manifold pressure is a little more miles per gallon. But, I am interested in miles per engine and not having the engine give me problems away from home on a trip.

Same applies to the lower gears' upshifts and TCC lockup speeds. I'll also be adjusting the downshift and TCC unlock speeds. I did this on our 1995 Chevy 9C1 ex-highway patrol Caprice and Buick Roadmaster. My target is the engine operating between 1500 and 2000 RPM around town and up to 2500 RPM when I am pressing harder on the loud pedal.

I know that I can shorten the shift times and increase line pressures. I may experiment carefully with those. I'm looking for longevity, not hard or harsh shifts.

I will report my progress in this thread. I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe @NickTransmissions will let me know if I'm going astray.
Did you try these guys for bcm tuning?
They do require you have an Autosync.

OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per my post # 11 above, I have already decided to ride the HP Tuners (HPT) horse, a result of my online research and viewing videos which showed the HPT product in use. From here on, please let's use this thread to describe my experience for others who may be considering the HP Tuners product. I'll also answer questions about the HPT product.

So far, my experience with HPT's MPVI3 interface module and the HPT VCM Suite software has been positive. My Tahoe's AFM/DOD is no longer active, I've told my ECM and TCM to use the diameter of my current tires for speed calculations, and I've set my Torque Converter Target Slip RPM values to Zero in all six gears.

Apparently, HPT wholesales their current interface module, the MPVI3, with the serial number sometimes already having "credits" attached. When I got the box from Summit Racing, the HPT box contained
1. the MPVI3 OBDII interface module,
2. a cable with a male UPS plug at one end and a jack which fits into the MPVI3 at the other end, and,
3. a Quick Start Guide.

The MPVI3 interface module has a plug which connects to the Tahoe's OBDII port under the dash just to the left of the steering column. I bought a $16 OBDII extension cable which I do not need.

1. I followed the instructions on the Quick Start Guide to register the MPVI3 with HP Tuners. The Quick Start Guide next told me to download and install HPT's VCM Suite which contains the VCM Editor and Scanner. It also told me to create an account with HPT. Next was associating my MPVI3 interface device with my HPT account. At this point, HPT told me that I had two credits on my account.

My two credits were sufficient to load changes to both my Tahoe's Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM).

With the registered VCM interface device and HPT VCM software, a control module calibration file can be downloaded from my Tahoe, viewed, edited, and saved to my computer without credits. Credits are required to write a modified calibration file to my Tahoe's ECM or TCM.

My laptop is running Windows 10.

2. Caution: Before copying my Tahoe's ECM calibration file into VCM editor on my laptop, I made sure that the Tahoe's battery and my laptop's battery were fully charged. In fact, I replaced my five year-old Tahoe battery with a new battery five days ago, so it was strong and freshly charged. My laptop has a strong battery which allows it to run for several hours; it was freshly topped off. The goal is to be able to copy the vehicle file without a hiccup and to write the modified calibration file to the vehicle without a hiccup.

Caution: Note that I said nothing about having a battery charger on my Tahoe or my laptop. Chargers can introduce extraneous signals on the charging lines which might disrupt a read or a write. I said "can" and "might", not "will". If the read or write is disrupted, a new dealer installed and initialized control module may be required. So, I suggest that care be taken on the batteries.

I then copied my Tahoe's ECM calibration file into my VCM Editer on my laptop. The first thing I did after copying my ECM file into VCM editor was save the file in my laptop's Tahoe/HPT/ECM directory as
"0_Chevy_Factory_ECM_File.hpt".
The file extension ".hpt" is for an HPT proprietary file format. That way I have a copy of what Chevy put in my Tahoe. I can write it back to my ECM if I get out in left field with a modified calibration file. I'll back up the directory to a thumb drive which I keep in my safety deposit box.

3. I next went to the Gear/Tire Wizard on the Edit tab in VCM editor and entered the diameter (height) of my tires and told the Wizard to udate my control module.

4. Using the principles described in this HPT YouTube Video,
I switched the AFM/DOD behavior choice from "Enable" to "Disable". Unlike the video, that was the only calibration item on the screen. I saved the ECM calibration file with the name "1_DOD_Disable_Basic.hpt" in the same directory as before.

I then saw a choice under the Edit tab / View tab to perform Basic or Advanced editing. Basic was selected. I clicked on Advanced and subsequently saw an edit screen which mostly matched the screen shown in the YouTube videos. I made the changes suggested in the YouTube video and saved the file in the same directory as before, assigning the name "2_DOD_Disable_Advanced.hpt".

5. I now had a file with the desired changes ready to write back to my Tahoe. When I tried to do so, VCM Editor said that I didn't have credits to do so. What it really meant was that I didn't have credits identified/selected to do so. I went to my HPT account and selected the credits that were on my account and wrote the ECM calibrations file to my Tahoe.

The first part of the writing step appeared to be an erasing of the calibration file loaded in the ECM. Perhaps that was required to provide room for my modified file to be written to the ECM. The file was successfully written. Whew.

6. I followed much the same process to set the target Torque Converter slip to zero. I will put more detail on it in the next post on this thread tomorrow.

7. With AFM disabled, I can now use sixth gear on the highway, perhaps without adding more wear to my AFM lifters. The zero'ed out Torque Converter Clutch target slip may help my reman transmission's Torque Converter Clutch last longer, hopefully much longer.

After replacing the battery, the dashboard center display showed the outside air temp as 47F which was incorrect. It also showed a bad time. I reset the date and time. Over a period of maybe thirty minutes driving, the outside temperature came up to something reasonable.

After writing my modified ECM and TCM calibration files to my Tahoe, the ignition was ON, as needed for writing to the vehicle. When I disconnected the MPVI3 and tried to start the engine, it would not start. I turned the ignition OFF by pushing the Start/Stop button. I waited about a minute, then turned the ignition ON and the engine started normally.

I like the way the vehicle is driving, without the delay when switching from driving on the flat in V4 mode and then starting up a hill and switching to V8 mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Control Module "programming" rough explanation.

I don't know the actual approach that GM used. Typically there is an operating program installed/written in the control module, be it the Engine Control Module, ECM, which is a box in the engine compartment, the Transmission Control Module, TCM, which I believe is in the 6L80 transmission, the BCM or, in the CCM, which I suspect is the Chassis Control Module or Climate Control Module. In my 1995 Caprice, all of the functionality was in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in the engine compartment. Vehicle computer management has progressed since then.

When the vehicle is powered up, the control module loads its operating program into active memory. The program has the instructions for how to do its job. If the program does not have instructions for accessing and displaying transmission temperature, it doesn't even think about it.

I don't know what human readable programming language is used. In any case, the human readable programming language is probably compiled (translated) into a compact but humanly unreadable form. For us to modify things like AFM disable, the unreadable form has to be reverse engineered into a readable form. That is a value that the tuner companies like HP Tuners, Diablo, etc., bring to the table.

The first thing the individual control program does after it starts up is read it's stored calibration file to get its operating parameters. For instance, whether to enable or disable AFM. How long to let a remote start event to continue. If the operating program does not have instructions to get the remote start continue time from the calibration file and use it, it isn't going to happen.

The next piece of value the tuner companies like HP Tuners bring to the party is a formatted editing program, in this case the VCM Editor. It reads a calibration file and lays out on the screen various parameters which the user can modify/edit. Like whether to enable or disable the AFM completely. Whether to make the AFM inoperative below a VSS of 50 or some other speed like 250 miles per hour, etc.

Typically, the calibration file editor can write a modified calibration file to a directory in the end user's computer (my laptop) or through the OBDII connector into the vehicle's control module. Reading and overwriting the control modules' calibration files through the OBDII connector is another piece of functionality the tuner companies bring to the marketplace.

There is enough demand for playing with the engine and transmission that it is worthwhile for the "tuner" companies to go into the ECM and TCM and figure out what is going on.

Unfortunately, if there is not enough marketplace demand, a given service will not be offered. The HP Tuners VCM Editor only offers to read, edit, and write the ECM, TCM, and CCM calibration files.

When we load "tunes" into our vehicle's control modules, we are overwriting a control module's calibration file.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the following video for information on how to modify my transmission's Transmission Control Module (TCM) to set the target slip for the Torque Converter clutch (TCC) to zero.

HPT 6L80 Tuning 101

After replacing the Tahoe battery, before doing any HPT stuff, the dashboard center display showed a bodus time and the outside air temp as 47F which was incorrect, the outside air was in the low nineties. I reset the date and time. Initially, the air conditioner was not blowing cold air with the desired temp set at 75F. Maybe it figured that with an outside temp of 47F all I needed was outside air (which was actually in the low nineties). Over a period of maybe thirty minutes of driving, the outside air temperature indication came up to something reasonable and the air conditioner started working normally.

After writing my modified ECM and TCM calibration files to my Tahoe, the ignition was ON, as needed for writing to the vehicle. When I disconnected the MPVI3 and tried to start the engine, it would not start. I turned the ignition OFF by pushing the Start/Stop button. I waited about a minute, then turned the ignition ON and the engine started normally. The time was OK, but the outside air temp was showing 32F. Again, it came up to something reasonable after some driving and the air conditioner started working normally.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This post is a placeholder for describing using HPT VCM Editor for customizing upshift and downshift speeds and for adjusting Torque Converter Clutch locking and unlocking in each of the six gears. I want to do the adjustments to avoid putting a load on the engine at low RPM ("lugging the engine").

Last edited:

k_arnold72

Reaction score
Can this only be accomplished with a laptop? If a desktop is my only computer, how can I transfer files to the vehicle?

OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can this only be accomplished with a laptop? If a desktop is my only computer, how can I transfer files to the vehicle?
You can do it with a desktop which has a USB port. You'd carry the desktop out to the car and connect it to the MPVI3. The only risk is the fact that the desktop does not have an internal battery. So there might be an issue with spurious electronic currents from the desktop power supply getting on the cable to the HP Tuner MPVI3. If you have a robust UPS and could operate the desktop off of the UPS battery, that would not be a problem.

On the HP Tuners Forum on the HP Tuners website, there is a thread
where two HP guys, Scott and Bill, tell it both ways. The thread has several posts from other people.

If you don't have a robust UPS for your desktop, perhaps you have a friend with a laptop with a robust battery.

Twenty years ago my laptop gave me the "Plug in your battery charger soon." message and died before I could plug it in or finish writing the calibration file to my wife's daily driver 1995 Buick Roadmaster. Big oops. :Stupid Me:

Down to the salvage yard to buy a PCM out of a 1995 Firebird. It had the same part number as the Buick PCM. I installed the Firebird PCM in the Buick and wrote the Buick file to the Firebird PCM. It worked. Thank you, Father.

I sent the failed Buick PCM to a guy who rehabbed it for a reasonable fee. I kept it as a spare after testing it in one of our two 1995 GM sedans.

FWIW and YMMV.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaeG

Latest posts